What's the best treatment for large pores? (Photo)

I have fairly large pores in my nose and cheers that have gotten worse as I have gotten older. They aren't terrible but are noticeably worse. I have a bit of rosacia and very sensitive skin. I use rx retinol diluted with face lotion about every other day. I am good about cleaning, toning, and moisturizing daily. What procedure would be the best "quick fix" to shrink these? Fraxel? Chemical peel? Microdermabrasion? Thank you!!

Fraxel and Pores and Treatment

There are a number of ways to treat pores ranging from lasers to facials to chemical peels.  I have many patients who prefer Fraxel Dual since this will also improve the pigmentation as well.  Many patients like the Clear and Brilliant Laser which is a "mini-Fraxel" with no down time.  Chemical peels and oxygen facials also help as well.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist for the best cosmetic results. Best, Dr. Green

Large pores

To keep side effects at a minimum, there are unfortunately no "quick fix" methods to shrink pore size. Fraxel Dual will improve the texture and pigmentation of your skin and may improve the appearance of pore size. Superficial chemical peels and microdermabrasion can also give a temporary appearance of smaller pore size but more multiple treatments over several months are usually required.

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Tightening pores may or may not respond to Fraxel Clear and Brilliant or Restore

Fraxel, or fractional laser resurfacing, is used with different wavelengths.  Some pores tighten and some don't change and there's no way to determine which will respond. For those patients that want to treat other conditions such as coloration problems from sun damage, or fine wrinkles, and Fractional laser resurfacing is in order, then if we get improvement in pore size that's an added value benefit, but not a proven benefit from undergoing the laser.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Treatments

It is important to understand that when dealing with skin concerns there are no "quick fixes." A slow, steady and consistent approach will yield optimal results.  

A series of Fraxel treatments in combination with a good skin care routine will soften the appearance of unwanted texture in the skin.  A series of Fraxel treatments, usually about 4-5 treatments, should be spaced about 4-6 weeks apart to allow for proper collagen remodeling.  Collagen remodeling is the key to soften unwanted texture. Patients will achieve their optimal results about 4-6 months after the last Fraxel laser treatment.  Additionally at home skin care and regular professional treatments, such as chemical peels and facials focused on extraction and exfoliation, will help reduce the appearance of pore size. 

Seek treatment by an experienced board-certified facial plastic surgeon, general plastic surgeon, or dermatologist.

William Numa, MD, FACS
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Large Pores -- Clear + Brilliant/Fraxel, EclipseMicropen, PRP

I suggest a combination of lasers, skin care, and PRP.  See a cosmetic dermatologist with experience.  Best, Dr. Emer.

The most efficient quick fix is fully ablative laser resurfacing with erbium laser (see photos on open pores that I ve posted). Erbium fully ablative laser has a very long recovery time. Why? Open pores are more difficult then they look. This is because pores are shaped like a flask- if you laser them with fully ablative lasers, one has to get to the base of the pores. This can be achieved, at the expense of long downtimes and possible post laser side effects- pigmentation being the most common. 

A more conservative approach is spot TCA to the biggest and deepest pores, followed by Fraxel. I like using 1927, under high density with maximal power. You may require 2 treatments for optimal results. 

Microdermabrasion only removes the upper surface of the skin, it can make pores 'look smaller' but in all cases microdermabrasion is only a temporary solution. 

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser and Cosmetic Dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

What is fraxel

Fraxel is a laser skin rejuvenation treatment that resurfaces your outer skin, erasing imperfections. It also encourages the production of collagen, a protein found in connective tissue.The result is clearly visible lines, folds and wrinkles. Fraxel laser skin rejuvenation is a non-invasive technique that affects only about 20 percent of the facial skin exposed to it. The most common side effects of Fraxel laser treatment are swelling and skin redness, which should subside within a couple of days. Other temporary side effects may include minor itching, dry skin, peeling or flaking, and a bronzed skin appearance. The risk of infection or scarring is very limited

Elliot M. Heller, MD