What I could do after failed subcutaneous mastectomy? (Photo)

Month ago I had a subtutaneous mastectomy (FtM mastectomy) and it little bit failed. My left breast have loose skin and lost nipple. My right side (photo) is better, but there is some wavy skin and also little looser skin. I am afraid of result, sometimes I feel really bad. Do you think it could be saved if I went one day to repair operation? I wish it looks more normal, but I don´t know my opinions now. Mainly my lost nipple and loose skin... Now I am waiting for healting and final result.

Revision of FTM top surgery

Please refer to my answer to your question in your other post.

Mastectomy for transgender men is a procedure that eliminates the breast by removing excess skin and most of the breast tissue. I utilize 5 different procedures and the procedure that is best for you will depend on your body size, your breast size, and the family history of breast cancer. 

Revision of FTM top surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Addressing a Failed Subcutaneous Mastectomy

It is early in your post-op healing and you have yet to see the final #result yet. If you do decide to move forward with additional surgery, it's usually suggested to wait 6 to 12 months depending on the reason.

The ideal technique best for you is difficult to determine online by photos alone. There are several methods used which depend upon the patient’s breast or chest #size before surgery. Considerations include the #laxity of skin, the #size of the #areola, the amount of #fat and recent weight #gain or weight #loss. 

The most common procedures include the #periareola, #buttonhole, #double incision, and #anchor patterns. I often use #liposuction along with the double #incision for larger breasts, and, some variation for smaller breasts; depending upon the position of the areola. The female breast nipple and #areola are often centered on the breast. However, the nipple and areola are lower and closer to the outside edge of the #pectoralis muscle in the male patient. Shaping the side of the chest may also be required and can be performed with #suctioning; along with contouring of the muscle, as noted above, to provide the best definition for the chest. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will #confirm if you would actually benefit from a revision and the type best suited for your revision during an in-person evaluation.

FTM top surgery

This isn't your final result. You are still swollen.  be sure to wear the compression vest as it will help the skin contract.  However it seems you might need additional surgery to tighten up the excess skin.

FTM top surgery

Top surgery

It is difficult to fully assess from the picture that you have provided, but generally speaking at one month after surgery there will be swelling.  Revision can always be considered. 

Top surgery

This is normal

I recommend patience. It has been only a month and not all cases are the same. Depending on your skin type, the number of stretch marks you have and the quality of the skin, it may take up to a year to see the final results.The skin and scars will keep regularizing. I recommend using only pressure therapy, that is, adjustable band on the chest to maintain moderate pressure and this promotes lymphatic drainage and accelerates the recovery process. It is the band called chest-rib that is used when the person is injured and suffers broken rib.

Kenneth Schimensky, MD

This is normal

Kenneth Schimensky, MD