Had 3 sculptra treatments. Would it be safe to get voluma now?

Hi Im in my 40s and I had 3 sculptra treatment in my cheeks so far. Spaced 4 to about 10 weeks apart. First sculpta treatment was in May, 2014, Second treatment was in July and third treatment of sculptra was in August, 2014. I don't really see a difference as much as I like to. My cheeks are still hollowed and sunkeen. Would it be safe to get Voluma now or would you recommend I get another sculptra treatment instead. Or should I wait longer for better results? Thank You

Voluma after Sculptra

Yes Voluma can be injected after Sculptra if you feel you do not have the result you desire. Voluma can be a good alternative to Sculptra and the results are instant.  You may want to wait to see the result from the Sculptra before you inject the Voluma but it is safe to do both.

Good luck,

Dr. Peter Newen

Voluma After Sculptra

Voluma can be injected after Sculptra in most cases.  In some patients albeit rare, Sculptra does not provide as much volume as desired and can improve with other fillers.  Voluma acts as an injectable implant and can be an effective alternative to midface volume loss.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can you Have Voluma After Sculptra?

A generic answer to this question is, "yes, you can have Voluma".  However, as other posters have noted, I would first look at the number of Sculptra vials injected.  If you only had 1 vial per session in the face of severe facial volume loss, it is possible that you have not yet reached completion with your Sculptra treatment. On the other hand, if you prefer to continue adding facial volume with Voluma, it is certainly safe to do so. Both Sculptra and Voluma are great products and it is possible to have wonderful results with both, assuming that you see a very experienced injector. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek Hollows

If your concern is hollow cheeks I would recommend you continue treatment with Sculptra. Sculptra is used to stimulate collagen production, helping to replenish volume loss. It is the only volumizer scientifically designed to stimulate natural collagen growth treating the underlying cause of facial aging.

It is important to be aware that Sculptra is not an instant filler, but a collagen stimulator, improvement will be slow and progressive for up to 6 months after your last session.

Juvederm Voluma is specifically formulated to correct volume loss and enhance contour to the mid cheek area creating a subtle lift.

It is safe to use both products at the same time just keep in mind they work best for different concerns.
Consult with a Board Certified Dermatologist to see which option is best for you and how many sessions you would need.

For more information click on link below:

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

Topping Sculptra with Voluma

The amount of Sculptra you need is dependent upon the amount of volume loss or volume deficiency you are experiencing. Your doctor is your best guide since he/she is monitoring your treatment and by now is familiar with your individual response to Sculptra.

At this point it would be appropriate for another Sculptra session or you could "top off" with Voluma. Voluma isn't used in all the same areas as Sculptra, but there is no reason the appropriate areas can't be supplemented with the Voluma filler. (Voluma does create beautiful cheekbones instantly, but usually requires multiple syringes, so don't expect a single syringe to re-contour all areas of your face.)

Although studies show a 24 month longevity for Voluma. please be mindful that everyone has a different metabolic rate and some people will see fillers last a long time, while others experience a shorter effective period.

If you have confidence in your doctor, I would definitely allow her/him to continue to recommend the best option.

Nasrin Mani, MD
La Jolla Ophthalmologist

Sculptra AND Voluma

Hi NewSpot!

In my experience, Voluma and Sculptra are very complementary.

Voluma is a long duration HA (hyaluronic acid) gel filler, rated to last 2 years. It is indicated by the FDA for use in the cheeks but is often off-label used to add volume in the temples and along other hollows and folds of the face.

Sculptra, falls under the FDA filler category and indicated for soft-tissue fill. It works more like a simulator of the bodies own collagen, elastin and other HA like substances in the dermis. It provides firming and thickening of the skin, fascia and possibly building bone too. 

Layered artfully, these two injectibles provide terrific satisfaction. Immediate improvement is seen with Voluma and other HA fillers.  Skin firming with skin texture improvements is created with Sculptra for 2 years and more but takes 6-12 weeks of serial injections to obtain its optimal results. 

For the patient who do not require  or desire redraping due to facial skin laxity or sagging, this combination works wonderfully. 

Please consult with a well experienced, Board Certified Facial Injector who provides a full spectrum of options for you to understand and choose from. 

All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Safe to have Voluma after 3 Sculptra treatments?

While it would be safe to have Voluma injected a month after your third Sculptra treatment, it is possible that you could obtain more long lasting results with more Sculptra treatments.  It can sometimes take 3 to 6 Sculptra treatments to get the desired results, depending on the starting severity.  I would need to examine you or see pictures of you before and after your Sculptra treatments to give you the best advice.  The advantage of Voluma would be that you would see more immediate results.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma Following Sculptra

Thank you for your question.  It is definitely safe to follow or combine Sculptra with Voluma.  These fillers work very differently and can often be complimentary.  Voluma does a good job of lifting and filling the midface and cheek area. Sculptra is an excellent volumizer of the temples and lateral cheek areas.  The combination of the two together can be quite an effective treatment and quite long lasting.  Best wishes.

If you want to switch to Voluma from sculptra, it is safe

The majority of my patients are extremely pleased with sculptra. I don't think that more time will help though. You might just need more. I would stay with sculptra because I feel the results will last longer and maybe a tad more natural. On the other hand, Voluma is an excellent choice for enhancing cheeks and it would be very easy to add in the same area as the sculptra. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Scupltra results

Voluma and Sculptra are both great products for adding volume to the cheek area. You may not be at your final results with Sculptra, and the difference at this point will not be significant. Voluma can easily be added at this point. Plus you will get instant long lasting gratification.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD