Will a rhinoplasty help me? (Photos)

I have what I believe to be a "bone spur" on my nose which is very noticeable from this angle. It only affects the left side of my nose and seems to point out. I also wanted to do some tip refinement as well. I don't believe my nose fits my face and I am very unhappy with it. Can a rhinoplasty correct this? Any other input is welcome.

Dorsal hump

A bony dorsal hump on the left side of the nose as seen in the photograph can be corrected through rhinoplasty.

Dr. J

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will a rhinoplasty help me?

Thank you for your question. If you are unhappy with the look of your nose, you think that you would be much happier after a rhinoplasty operation; if you had an accident and the shape of your nose got worsened after this accident; then you can be a good candidate for rhinoplasty operation. It is a well-known fact that individuals with feeling themselves beautiful have higher self-esteem. Therefore; if the look or functionality of your nose bothers you, you can get benefit from a rhinoplasty operation

A rhinoplasty will improve your upper and tip nasal contour.

The contour irregularities of your nose are caused by the shape of your bone and cartilage beneath your skin.  By modifying the bone and cartilage shape, a straight, smooth upper nasal contour can be created.  The nasal tip cartilage can be reshaped so your nasal tip is more refined and balanced.  See a board certified plastic surgeon and have a detailed consultation about your wishes.  An in person examination will allow your plastic surgeon to evaluate your individual anatomy and formulate a plan to create a nasal shape and size in balance with your facial shape.

Dorsal Reduction and Tip Refinement

Based on the photos, I agree that the tip could use some refinement. The "bone spur" you are seeing is likely a prominant edge of bone or a combination of bone and cartilage. This is often casued by previous trauma but can be genetic as well. 

A cosmetic rhinoplasty the surgery of choice to correct these deformities and reposition tissue in the nose for better aesthetics. This can be achieved through a closed or open approach but is typically done in the OR under anesthesia.

See the link below for more information.  

A detailed examination will help delineate the best treatment. Consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery would be the next best step.

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty to have a nasal examination performed and a review of your medical history to see if you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty. From the photographs you have posted, I believe you may benefit from a hump reduction and tip rhinoplasty. A dorsal hump can be removed by cutting out the extra cartilage along with filing of the bone to smooth out the bump. A tip rhinoplasty includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing. Best of luck in your endeavors.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Yes it will

Rhinoplasty will for sure help you.  What you need to do is find plastic surgeons that you would like to go to and review their before/after photos; make sure they are showing you a lot of before/after photos and that they show you at least 3 views - front, quarter turn and profile - from each patient.  If you like their results then go meet the doctor to see you like her/him.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Absolutely!  Rhinoplasty can take down the hump on the dorsum as well as refine the tip.

Best of Luck

Dr Rodman

Regina Rodman, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Based on the limited views, it appears that you would be an excellent candidate for rhinoplasty with an expert surgeon.

Just do  your homework and find a credentialed surgeon who specializes in noses and whose work you admire.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Potential Good Candidate

From looking at your pictures, it appears that you may be a good candidate for rhinoplasty.  However, you need an in-office examination with a board certified facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon to make completely sure.  Very best wishes to you.

Gregory D. Roberts, MD
Richardson Facial Plastic Surgeon

rhinoplasty candidate

The dorsal hump is composed of both bone and cartilage which must be shaved down in order to remove it. The nasal tip cartilages can also be adjusted accordingly. Osteotomies in the nasal bones are also required to narrow the bridge line after the hump removal. For more information and many examples of noses similar to your own, please see the link and the video below