Receiving Botox for the first time for prevention and not sure how much is normal (photos)

I am going in next week to receive my first ever injections of Botox. I am a 25 year old female with average size forehead, no set wrinkles yet but I can see my 11s when I frown and trying to catch them before they leave wrinkles. I am looking to get my glabellar and forehead done. Wondering how much I should expect to be getting for my 11's as I've heard them referred to. I've read 12-15 is common for prevention? Also how much on forehead. Thanks!

Botox

Thank you for your question in regards to Botox. Typically 20 units are injected to the glabella and around 8 units to the forehead. Since it is your first time, you may choose to do less, so you do not have an over-done appearance. More units can always be added, but once injected Botox will last 3-4 months and cannot be reversed. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

Botox starting doses

It is hard to say without seeing you actively move your glabella and forehead as well as see how much typical expression you have. A good low dose is about 15 for the glabella and 8 for the forehead.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox for Wrinkle Reduction and Prevention

Based on the photos posted you have some fine lines present on your forehead and glabella that you can benefit with Neuromodulators such as Botox, Xeomin or Dysport. 

Since this is your first time getting treated. Always start conservatively by using less units to prevent looking "overdone." You can start at 7-10 units on the Glabella. 

A proper consultation is key to get an understanding on how much is recommended and what other options are available for you. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

Botox Units

Typically the glabella itself is approximately 20 units. I would plan on adding another 10 units, if you plan on doing your forehead too. Keep in mind that even though you are doing this as prevention, you will still need to have it repeated approximately every 3-4 months to keep your desired look.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Wrinkle prevention versus Wrinkle reduction and rebalancing

Dear italiananurse:

Thanks for this question as it is very intuitive to try and prevent wrinkles from occuring as they are much more difficult to "erase" once the skin damage is done.

The amount and injection sites of Botox required is very different for each person. It will be determined by a proper examination and recommendations on the desired endpoint. Those individuals with a desire to keep from making lines will use less Botox than those with deep, active wrinkling and more muscle weakening required.

When considering Botox, I will commonly use 15 to 20 units to the glabella's 3 muscles and orbicularis recruitment muscles

If you weaken only the muscle or muscles between the eyebrow, you may not like the expression-effect as other muscles will take over to achieve a mentally remembered appearance until proper rebalancing is obtained. In this case, return to your talented and skillful, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist to achieve your desires. 

I hope this is helpful! All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Botox for prevention of wrinkles

After using Botox for nearly 27 years, I am confident that it can play a preventative role to help minimize the development of wrinkles in the glabella, forehead and crows feet area.  The dose will vary based on the size and strength of the muscles.  The goal obviously is to keep you looking youthful and natural.  Anexperienced injector who has used Botox for preventative reasons for many years will be best able to answer your questions after examining you.  Best of luck.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Should Botox be used for prevention of wrinkles?

Thank you for sharing your questions and photos. The use of Botox is great for the prevention of some wrinkles, but can can cause issues in some areas of the face. The glabellar region is a good location for its use. The forhead is bad to use for preventing horizontal lines. If the forhead is carpeted to prevent all wrinkles, then the eyebrows can drop or it can create a frozen appearance. If only the upper half of the forhead is injected, the lower forhead will have movement and those lines will become deeper sooner. See an experienced doctor for full evaluation and discussion of treatment options.
Good luck,

How much botox is normal for prevention of lines?

Preventing facial lines is much better than trying to treat them when they are already there and Botox is just one of the techniques that can do that.
Seeing dermatologist, Board certified in the care of skin/hair and nails, is one of the steps that can help you look your best before the lines start appearing.
When it comes to Botox, it is NOT about the units but it all has to do with patient anatomy and proper location, depth and the amount of product used.
I recommend that you see a qualified physician and have a thorough assessment and consultation prior to proceeding with any treatments.
Best regards, Dr. Sapijaszko.

Mariusz Sapijaszko, MD, FRCPC
Edmonton Dermatologic Surgeon

Forehead Botox

The extent of treatment will be determined by your treating doctor after an examination and consultation.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Forehead and the 11's

The amount of Botox injected is individualized based on what problem you have and your muscles. If the glabella muscles, the ones causing the 11's, are relatively weak, you can use less. If, however, they are quite strong with function, it requires more. I generally range from 12 to 24 units in that area. The forehead is similar, but you also have to consider the forehead position and the possibility of causing droop with what you inject. Make sure you see an expert injector. (See ExpertInjector.org)

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon