I have uneven nostrils after a nose job. Is it reversible? (Photo)

Dear doctors. I am 3 weeks post my nose job and my nose looks different from each side. Also my nostrils seem to be of a different size. My next appointment is in a month and I'm worried by then that any damage will not be reversible. Could cleaning one side better than the other contribute to the different shapes ? Thank you so much.

Swelling could be contributing to your uneven appearance.

3 weeks post-op is still very early in the healing process, and it is possible that swelling could be contributing to your uneven appearance. Most patients don’t begin to see what their final results will look like until after at least 3 months or longer. If you are still unhappy with your results after 6 months have passed, you can start looking into revision rhinoplasty options. For now, be patient and continue following up with your surgeon. I hope this helps.

Swelling or baseline asymmetry

It would be nice to see preops. Often patients do not appreciate their baseline.  It could also be related to swelling. At this point, you should give it time to heal.

If your nostril asymmetry persists after rhinoplasty, microdroplet Silikon-1000 may be considered to permanently add symmetry.

If your right nostril retraction does not spontaneously improve after your rhinoplasty surgery, Silikon-1000 injections may be considered to lower your right nostril margin. The lower third of your nose may be swollen for months, and silicone injections may be considered when the nostril margin is soft and free from surgical swelling.

Hope this helps you.

Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
It's too early to make value judgments with only 3 weeks after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question, masriaseel. You are too early in your 12-month recovery period to begin judging your nose job. I suggest you continue to follow your board certified facial plastic surgeon's recommended healing process.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Congratulations on your rhinoplasty! Everyone recovers differently and it really depends on what kind of rhinoplasty you had and if anything was done to the nostrils. Edema or swelling after surgery is very common. This swelling can take up to a year to resolve. It also depends if cartilage grafts were placed in your nostril rims or not and this could be another explanation for some asymmetry. The most important thing is you are maintaining follow up with your plastic surgeon. Best of luck, MMT

Question for your surgeon

Typically, we don't revise rhinoplasties until many months have passed. Since your surgery was so recent, I would pose this question to your surgeon as he/she has a better idea of the particulars of your surgery.

Marcelo Ghersi, MD