Should I consider consulting my surgeon about getting a revision for my original gynecomastia surgery?

Had lipo only gynocomastia surgery 3 months ago. At first I was optimistic as size of my puffy nipples originally went down a little but don't seem to be making improvement. My surgeon told me that it would take 6 months about for final results, but I'm stressing out because it's not the look I want and I don't want to waste more time. I've been wearing a compression shirt for months, I'm not sure why the gland wasn't excised but my surgeon told me it wasn't originally needed. Post op in 1 month.

When to Consider Gynecomastia Surgery Revision

The areas after Gynecomastia Surgery may feel “lumpy” or irregular, and should decreases with time. Often massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. Also, the #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. It's possible that any indentations could be addressed with fat grafting or cosmetic filler(s) if eligible.

Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

You really need to allot up to six months to see the final results from the gynecomastia surgery before suggesting a revision is necessary. Best to speak honestly with your surgeon about your concerns. 

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Revision?

It's impossible to tell after just three months. In my experience liposuction alone is not sufficient to get all of the gland out. There is frequently a tough area of gland that has to be directly excised. But be patient.

Liposuction gynecomastia

I usually do a gland excision with liposuction, but that doesn't mean it is the only thing that works. If you came into my office at this point I would tell you to wait another 3 months. Then I would evaluate the tissues to see if all the swelling was gone. So wait the three months and talk to your surgeon.

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

At three months you should be getting a sense of your final results but it is still a bit early to consider a revision. There will still be some swelling left at this point that will resolve and the scarring has not matured yet. If you have concerns about your appearance you should certainly raise them with your surgeon however don't be surprised if you are told to wait a few more months before proceeding with any revision. Hope that helps!

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

I'm sorry to hear about your concerns after chest wall surgery. It is difficult to give you advice, regarding whether or not additional surgery will be helpful, based on the photographs. Physical examination would be necessary.

Generally speaking, liposuction surgery alone is useful to treat lipomastia (an enlarged chest secondary to adipose tissue); rarely does it suffices as the only modality of treatment when it comes to treating true gynecomastia. Most patients with gynecomastia benefit from direct excision of glandular tissue plus/minus peripheral liposuction surgery.

I would suggest that you communicate your questions/concerns with your plastic surgeon. Hopefully working together you will come up with a plan to improve your outcome, if possible. Best wishes.

Revision of gynecomastia treated by liposuction only.

The efficacy on the operating table of liposuction is a treatment modality is a judgment call. Sometimes plastic surgeons don't make the right call and a secondary excision will benefit the patient. This can often times be done with local anesthesia. I don't charge my patients and additional professional fee to do this.

Revision surgery

I have found that even when it appears that liposuction alone will effectively treat gynecomastia, it very rarely does. If you still have fullness, especially if the thickened tissue is palpable just under the areolae, you will likely need an excisional procedure for optimal results. I generally agree that allowing time is the answer, but not in this scenario. Waiting for 3 more months won't hurt you, but you will likely still need an excisional procedure.

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon