Mommy Makeover Looking for Someone More Aggressive then Conservative?

I am wanting a Mommy Makeover. I want a PS that is fine being aggressive with lipo (flanks, abd, hips, back, inner and outer thighs) and aggressive with the tummy tuck part. I don't plan on having any more children or gaining any weight but I REALLY want a FLAT stomach and a narrow waist. I want an overall great result. I am not afraid of the scars, pain or not being able to walk straight for a month. I will do as I am told during recovery. Is there a PS willing to do so? is this common?

Aggressive is Fine, Reckless is Not

As mentioned by some of the other surgeons, safety is the most important factor when making decisions regarding elective surgery.  It might be convenient from a time standpoint to do an aggressive tummy tuck with whole body liposuction, but the risks are excessive.  One of the risks of surgery are blood clots in the legs (Deep Venous Throbosis), which could lead to Pulmonary Emboli and sudden death.  I believe that lower extremity liposuction (which creates stasis due to the large volume of tumescent fluid containing epinephrine) combined with an aggressive tummy tuck (which impedes venous return from the legs due to increased intra-abdominal pressure from the tightening component) creates a risk/benefit ratio that is unacceptable.  I have no problem performing an aggressive tummy tuck combined with flank liposuction, but will make my patients defer the lower extremity liposuction for another operation.  You will still get a great result, but in a much safer fashion.

Meeting expectations in body contouring surgery

When is enough enough.  As a plastic surgeon we must use our judgement in each and every case.  Being overly aggressive in thinning an abdominal flap can lead to wound healing complications in some but not all patients.  We have to work with what you bring us to work on so each individual will be different.  Safety is the number one issue.  During your discussions with a plastic surgeon communicate your expectations and you should get a truthful answer of whether or not your expectations can be met.  

Best results with mommy makeover neither too aggressive or too conservative

More aggressive approaches means higher risk of complications and unsatisfactory results, not just longer healing time; too conservative and the results don't accomplish your goals. Keep in mind that there are many things that affect the final results, such as how much internal body fat there is, what the skin tone is, and so forth.

Richard Baxter, MD

A combination of liposuction of the abdomen and non undermining the abdominal flap above the belly button works best

About ten years ago I saw a presentation by Dr. Pascal from Lyon, France present a new procedure that included liposuction of the tissue of the abdomen that could be included with a abdominal paniculectomy by limiting the dissection of the abdominal tissue to up to the umbilicus and then limited dissection just in the midline to allow the repair of the muscle separation. This preserves the blood supply to the upper abdominal flap and makes it safer and gives much better results. I adopted this technique and modified it and published a paper on this technique in the Plastic Reconstructive Surgery Journal, PRS in September, 2011. It is titled, "Abdominoplasty with Suction Undermining and Plication of the Superficial Fascia without Drains: A Report of 113 Consecutive Patients. Included in the procedure is extensive  liposuction of the hips. This allows for a dramatically better waist and more athletic appearing abdomen. This is often included with liposuction of the upper back, the lateral thighs, medial thighs, knees and lower legs. It can also be combined with breast surgery, augmentation, breast lift with or with out implants, or reduction mammoplasty.

This technique doe not require a drain, has quicker recovery and less discomfort. 

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

Can be done

hi, MMO   can be done  as aggresive as you and your PS  agree to be.  theres only one and very important concern: safety. 

this has to be the maintain your health and beauty.  aggresive lipo can be done always having monitorized blood count.  scarring depends on your anatomic  and your surgical profile.  Baja style MMO cut be your choice. 

Aggressive results with a mommy makeover

When it comes to aggressive results, I take as much fat out as I can and I make the tummy as tight as possible.  However, safety is first and looks are also very important which is why I do the procedures safely and make sure that I don't remove too much fat with liposuction as this can lead to a very uneven appearance to the skin and even skin death.  Having done many tummy tucks with liposuction, the results can be amazing!  Good luck!  Dr. Schreiber, Baltimore plastic surgeon

Seek a Board Certified Surgeon for Best Results

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to restore a woman’s body to look as is it did prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.

Your procedures should always be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Finding the right PS for you

I recommend you visit the website for the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS).    Selecting a member ASPS surgeon will ensure that your surgeon is properly board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.   Best wishes.

Mommy makover with agressive results

The most important thing is safety. Don't ever compromise on that. Look for a plastic surgeon who can balance safety with your desired goals. Make sure you expectations are realistic and look at the surgeons before and after photos

It's not about aggression!

The first exercise a surgeon uses when determining if and what techniques are applied is JUDGMENT. An assessment is made too see if a patient is a candidate for surgery and what procedures. If you have excess fatty tissue and good quality skin, liposuction can be done to appropriately contour those areas. The goal is to make smooth transitions between the various curves without creating sagging skin. It is not about aggression!. The same for the abdomen, it can only be made as flat as your abdominal wall structures allow.

All of this should be discussed with your plastic surgeon during the consultation process. Your expectations and what the urge on can do must be clearly defined!

Michael S. Beckenstein, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon