I'm one month out from a Mommymake over and I have dog ears. Will these scars resolve over time?

Recovery

You are still early in your recovery from surgery.  Your final look won't be apparent for 3-6 months after surgery.  Continue with the instructions from your surgeon and try to be patient.  If the dog ears are present after you are completely healed some minor revisions can be considered.

Dog ears

Thanks for your question.  It is not uncommon to have dog ears in the beginning.  I usually allow 6 months for them to settle.  If still present, they can usually be revised under local anesthesia.  Good luck!

Jeffrey Umansky, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

It is difficult to guide you without photos. After TT, some dog ears do resolve but others require revisional surgery with either liposuction, excision or a combination of both. I recommend you see your surgeon and discuss your concerns at your next visit. He/she will likely ask you to wait at least 3 months before deciding if you need any additional procedures. Best of luck.

Dog ears after a mommy makeover

Is difficult to answer this question without a good photograph of your dog ears. Sometimes they settle down over time, and sometimes they require a small revision to make everything look just right. They are probably not something you need to be real concerned about at this point.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Dr derby

Thank you for your question. If they do not improve they can always be surgical removed a few months after your initial procedure. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Recovery time in Melbourne, FL.

Thanks for your questions about your healing after Mommy Makeover.  Keep in mind that you are still very early out from your surgery and your recovery period.  I generally advise patients to wait up to one year or possibly longer to see the final results after surgery and make a judgment as to the result.  I hope this information is helpful to you.  Be sure and follow up with your board-certified plastic surgeon.  Best of luck!

Amy Ortega, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Dog Ears

Thanks for your question.   Dog ears can occur after this surgery, but in a lot of cases resolve on their own.  If they don't, you can do additional procedures to correct this.  Often liposuction, excision of the dog ears, or a combination of both can address this adequately.  Differ to the advice of your plastic surgeon who will know the best solution in your case.  Be patient and good luck.

Healing Expectations & Scars Following a Mommy Makeover

You must have patience, but if this causes concern, speak to or schedule a visit with your surgeon.#Healing will continue for 2-3 months following the procedure(s) as the #scars will be evolving. If my patients have concerns that something is unusual about their healing process, it is important for them to call the office and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined. Also some severe scars can be treated with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing. Additionally, scar therapy with scar maturation products (e.g. BioCorneum or Embrace) are suggested for managing scars. However, we recommend you wait to use scar improving products until a few weeks following your surgery. 

Mommy Makeover - Dog Ears?

Thank you for your question. It is impossible to answer your question accurately without photos. However, you should expect to have swelling for three to six months following tummy tuck surgery. Use of a properly fitted compression garment will help decrease the length and severity of the post-op swelling. As the swelling decreases, the contour of your abdomen, flanks, and hips will dramatically improve. Please follow your plastic surgeons specific advice regarding your level of physical activity. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

I'm one month out from a Mommymake over and I have dog ears.

Occasionally, after tummy tuck surgery surgery, patients will have excess skin or adipose tissue at the very end of their incision lines. These may be referred to as “dog ears”. "Dog ears"  refer to a bunching up of tissue at the end of a incision line/scar. Generally they occur  because a surgeon, in his/her attempt to keep the scar as short as possible, has a discrepancy between the lengths  of the upper and lower tummy tuck incision lines. They can be avoided by extending the incisions and removing additional skin and subcutaneous tissue. Most patients will much prefer a longer incision line than  the bunching up of tissue and contour elevation, which is visible and palpable with and without clothing.  Often, excision of the dog ear, if it's still a concern roughly one year postoperatively can be corrected easily under local anesthesia. I hope this helps.