Please tell me what this redness is! Post TT /BL (photo)

Hello. I had a full TT with MR, minor lipo and a BL 7 days ago. The next day or so I noticed this redness on my abdomen. It doesn't itch, hurt or bother me so I didn't contact my PS. I had my 1week followup today and he noticed it and said he doesn't think it's cellulitis, but maybe reaction to cipro and he switched my antibiotic to Clinda. What do you think? Cellulitis? Cipro reaction? My compression garment is spanx in which I've worn in the past and I only wear my binder off and on all day.

Redness After Tummy Tuck

Your PS is in the best position to determine the underlying cause of redness.  Nevertheless, I surmise that it may be a reaction to certain medications because it appears like a skin rash. 

Healing and Discomfort after a Mommy Makeover

Pain varies per person and medication to control #discomfort will be provided. Healing will continue for 2-3 months for the early period. This includes some swelling, bruising, malposition, color differences. Sensation in the breasts may also be abnormal and scars will be evolve. Tingling, burning or shooting pains in the breasts will disappear with time and should not alarm you. It is simply a result of the regeneration of your sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage per your surgeon's permission may help.

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Skin reaction

Please keep in close contact with your surgeon about this. It might just be a reaction to topical medications. See how your skin reacts to the antibiotics as this may resolve the issue.

Thank you for your question and photos.  It is a bit difficult to tell from the photos alone, so I would continue to follow the advice of your surgeon.  The redness could be a rash, but continue to follow up with your surgeon.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

It could be a rash either from medication or contact irritation, but it is important to follow closely with your surgeon to rule out infection.  Good luck.  Donald R. Nunn MD   Atlanta Plastic Srugeon

Donald Nunn, MD

Follow Up with your plastic surgeon

Thanks for your question and photos. You should continue to communicate directly with your plastic surgeon.
Best to seek your advice from your regular provider. Best to you. –Dr. Coan.

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Consult your PS

Your PS is in the best position to advise you on this matter, as he knows the full details of your surgery and recovery. Redness could be a sign of anything from an allergic reaction to infection. I strongly suggest scheduling an in-person evaluation with him as soon as possible. Best regards.

Jaime Perez, MD

Redness after tummy tuck surgery

Given that your plastic surgeon reviewed you, he or she is in the best position to advise you about the cause of your redness.  From your photographs and description its likely the redness has been caused by a reaction to the medication.  Continue to follow your surgeons post operative guidelines.

Redness of the skin after a mommy makeover should be reported to your surgeon.

The redness in the picture is worrisome and should be reported to your surgeon. It could represent an infection of the skin and might require antibiotics. If there is a deeper seated infection this might require surgical drainage.

Skin redness after TT

Your surgeon that did a personal evaluation is the one that could give a diagnosis in this case, keep him informed of any change of this symptoms. 

best of luck

Kemil Issa, MD