Question regarding labiaplasty and size of majora

I'm having labia minora reduction in a few weeks but I feel like it's not going to completely solve my problem. I feel as if the Majora also needs to be reduced so that I fit into clothing/bikinis better. Will reducing just the minora have any affect on the Majora size?

Labia minora and majora can be addressed

Hello. The labia minora and majora are separate structures, and can both be addressed. The labia minora removal can make the majora appear larger, even though this is just a new perspective on it.  You should discuss your desires with your plastic surgeon and she can go over your options. I have done the majora reduction at the same time, but sometimes I stage it, so you can be sure!  The scars are more visible on the majora too. Good luck.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Labia minora and majora reductions

In my practice, I reduce the labia majora frequently in combination with a labia minora reduction. 

One of the two most common labia minora techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced it at the same time. Your clitoral hood is thick, wide, and protuberant. It can be decreased somewhat by reducing the sides. I pioneered a clitoropexy with clitoral hood reduction in which the clitoris is pushed closer to the pubic bone and the width, thickness, length, and protuberance of the clitoral hood can be decreased. 

If your labia majora are enlarged, I suggest reducing the excess skin and maybe removing fat if that is also excessive.  The technique I use leaves a scar on the inside of the majora in the fold between the majora and the minora and clitoral hood.  I have done this procedure in combination with a labia minora reduction over a hundred times with excellent results and have published it in the plastic surgical literature.

No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Do I "need" a majoraplasty along with my labia minoraplasty?

No, it will not, but it depends on your anatomy. In a small subset of women with very lax minora + majora, where the minora & majora are sort of "...together," a specially designed expanded modified V-Y labiaplasty can reduce both at the same time. Usually however, in my experience (< 650 labiaplasties...) minoraplasty AND majoraplasty need be performed. They may be done at the same time. In our office, we do both together under local anesthesia, and reduce the price of the second procedure by 50%. Similar to many of the well-experienced & distinguished surgeons on this site, I have operated on patinets from > 15 states & 4 foreign countries (& counting...) You have an excelklent surgeon near you (Dr. Pelosi) in Bayonne, N.J.

Michael P Goodman., MD

Davis, CA, USA

Thank you for your question.  However, without a photo it is impossible to give you any advice.  Usually reducing the labia minora will not effect the size of the labia majora.  If you feel the labia majora is too big, it can be reduced at the same time.  You should discuss it with your doctor.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Labiaplasty of minora effect majora size?

The quick answer is No.  Please read on...

Your story and concerns are in good company with almost ever other patient that undergoes labiaplasty and/or clitoral hood reduction (aka hoodectomy) and experiences a major boost in (sexual) self-confidence and pleasure thereafter.  In a multi-center peer reviewed study I was involved in back in 2009, 98% of labiaplasty patients were satisfied with their results and had an improved sexual experience post-operatively.  

Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips) but not infrequently trimming or tucking of the labia majora (outer/thicker lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Most commonly it is done under light sedation (aka twighlight sleep) with local anesthesia, in which case the patient should feel no pain during the operation.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically ~10 mm or so of the dry part of the labia.  To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best.  It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.
Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible.  Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome.  Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.
Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly.  Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks.  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.  Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Post a pic if you want to know if labia minoraplasty will be enough to fix you

Your question can be answered instantly by viewing a photo of the the area. Post a pic. Without a photo there's no way to tell.

Labiaplasty and majora reduction

Thank you for the question. The labiaplasty to reduce the size of the labia minora does not address the labia majora  

To reduce the size of the labia majora liposuction may be the best option. Both procedures can be performed at the same time

It's important to discuss this with your surgeon to modify the plan for your upcoming surgery  

Dr. Khuthaila 

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  Unfortunately neither of the labiaplasty techniques - wedge or trim - will result in a change to the appearance of the labia majora tissues.  If you are interested in having both areas addressed I would contact your surgeon for a repeat evaluation and discussion of your treatment options.  This is important as the labia majora reduction would need to be accomplished prior to the labiaplasty to ensure the appropriate level of minora reduction to leave you a pleasing appearance.  Hope this helps.