Is there a possibility that the grafts used for my rhinoplasty will be resorbed?

Hello. I got my septorhinoplasty a little more than 3 months ago and I am a bit worried after hearing about graft resorption. As of now, my nose does not seem to loose the projection made by septal cartilage graft (grafts were place in the tip and the area between tip and the dorsum). Is it true that graft resorption is pretty common and it's something I have to be expecting in the near future? If it happens, during which post-op period does resorption occur? Thank you very much!

Do graft resorb

It is unlikely that a properly executed graft to the nose, dorsum or internal valve absorbs.

I have seen one, in over 40 years and it was a partial absorption and was technically difficult.

Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Cartilage Graft Resorption in Rhinoplasty

It is fairly rare for tip septal cartilage grafts to resorb but it is common for them to shift causing a loss of tip projection. Resorption of cartilage grafts usually only occurs if the are not fixed in postion and are mobile, become exposed through the skin or nasal mucosa, become infected (usually from exposure) or are placed under tension to provide structural support in a reconstructive effort. If tyip grafts shift, it usually occurs in the first three weeks or so when the swelling has subsided and the grafts can be identified.

Paul S. Howard, MD, FACS
Hoover Plastic Surgeon

Grafts

Hello and thank you for your question. When cartilage grafts are properly placed and secured in rhinoplasty, graft resorption should not occur.  I recommend you return to your primary surgeon for evaluation.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Cartilage Grafts in Rhinoplasty

Cartilage grafts in the nose have a good history of being volumetrically and structurally maintained. Cartilage graft resorption is fairly uncommon unless infection has occurred in the postoperative period.

Cartlidge absorption

It is not common for your own cartilage to get absorbed when it is used for nasal reconstruction.  However in some cases it can move over time or become smaller in size.

Regards

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cartilage grft absorption in rhinoplasty

Absorption of the cartilage graft, if any,  is more at early post operative period.

If it is not affected by 3 months, its unlikely to get absorbed  at later stage

Best of luck

Milan Doshi, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon

If you underwent a simple rhinoplasty or correction of nasal tip operation it means that your cartilage or bone structures are not excised. Since the manipulation is minimal; the edema will be minimal also. Nasal buffers will not be applied after these operations but only strip bandages. These strip bandages will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise.

If you underwent rhinoplasty operation in which the bone and cartilage structures are also involved like concha hypertrophy, septum deviation or secondary rhinoplasty; then intranasal buffers will be applied in order to reduce the edema. These intranasal buffers will be removed after 5th postoperative day. You can continue to do your daily work just after the procedure but we do not advise you heavy lifting or excessive exercise. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon