I had 24 u. of botox for forehead and crows feet 4 months ago. I hate results of crows feet. When will this wear off? (photo)

I am 33, and had never had botox before. I loved the results on my forehead, but my eyes look terrible. I have horizontal lines from the corner of my eye across my cheek, and my mild malar bags are more pronounced! My eyes look tired and puffy. My forehead is back to normal, but I see no improvement in my eyes, and this frightens me after 4 months! I avoid smiling and pictures. Is it normal to see one area resolve much quicker than the other? Have there ever been reports of permanent effects?

Smiling and botox

Luckily, most of the results should wear off by 4 months and six months at the longest.  Sometimes if you see an expert, they can at a few units to alter the result.  Injecting around the eyes is an art and although many doctors perform these injections, they can really alter your smile if they don't consider all the muscle groups and how they are working both at rest and during animation.  You might want to see a board certified oculofacial plastic surgeon who is also an injection specialist.  Often I recommend low dose but a smooth even spread of the botox so that lines don't develop in other areas than the ones treated (and the areas treated appear too smooth or unnatural).  This is an "off label" approach but in my opinion gives the most natural appearing results.

Don't worry though, even if you don't go for any touch up, the most obvious change usually improves within a month.

I hope that helps and best of luck!

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

The great thing about Botox is that it goes away

The clinical changes from botox typically last around 3-4 months, depending on how much botox was injected and how each individual responds to the toxin. Take comfort knowing that there are no permanent effects from botox. I would still recommend addressing your concerns with your injector/doctor and looking at before and after photos to see what changes are definitely new since the botox treatment. Any persistent changes to your face are almost certainly from another cause -- fluid retention, allergies, normal aging, etc. 
And yes, some areas of the face do normalize before others after botox treatment. This is often related to how much botox was initially injected into each different area.
All the best!

Geoffrey Pitzer, MD
Palo Alto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox should start to wear off around 3 months.

Botox should start to wear off around 3 months. There are people who experience the benefits of Botox for up to 6 months.

An option would be to follow up with your injector and assess before and after photos.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Any Botox effect should be gone at this point.

Mooleeja,

24 units of Botox is a low dose to treat the forehead and crows feet, unless you did not have the glabellar lines (the "11") treated.  In any event, Botox should have completely worn off by now, especially if this was the first treatment in the area, as it usually does not last quite as long with the first treatment, and also takes longer to have its initial effect.  I would look to other causes, e.g. fluid retention in the face, etc.  Malar fat pads are hereditary, and you may be a the nexus where they are starting to become more prominent, as well.
I  hope that this helps.

Tom DeWire, MD, FACS    

Richmond, VA  

Thomas M. DeWire Sr., MD (retired)
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

When does Botox wear off?

The effects of Botox should last up to 4-6  months.  What you may not like about the Botox effect may even go away much sooner than that even if the Botox is still present.

David J. Hecker, MD
Pompano Beach Dermatologist

I had 24 u. of botox for forehead and crows feet 4 months ago. I hate results of crows feet. When will this wear off

Generally Botox wears off in 3-4 months.  I would recommend following up with your plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns.  Best of Luck

How long will Botox Last?

I am sorry that you did not obtain the results you hoped for with your recent Botox injections.  24 units is a modest does to treat the areas you indicate so I would expect the effects will probably be less noticeable soon.  There can be quite a bit of variability from one person to the next with regard to how long the effects of a Botox injection will be evident.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

I had 24 u. of botox for forehead and crows feet 4 months ago. I hate results of crows feet. When will this wear off?

Allergan's BOTOX wears off or is metabolized within 6 months at normal units per area. The 24 units seems a bit low so there should be no residual now. Seek othe reasons for your cheek/orbital issues... 

Botox and Length of Effect

Botox is a fabulous injection. I am happy that you liked the results on the forehead.  There are times when Botox is injected too low on the cheek area and has the result that you are describing.  These results should go away shortly.  By 6 months there should not be any residual effects from the Botox.  For the best results please consult a board certified dermatologist for the best cosmetic results.

When Will This Botox Wear Off?

Typically Botox lasts 3 to 4 months, though I've had patients who have an effect for 6 months. 

Follow up with your doctor and share your concerns. You can take photos of yourself every couple of weeks, compare, and watch the change.

I'm glad you like your forehead! Click on the link below to see a dramatic change of the furrow lines, sometimes called the 11's. 

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon