About compression devices. I had an augmentation and a mini tummy tuck with some Lipo 12 days ago...

I have been 23/7 wearing the bra and compression abdominal binder provided. But it's really killing me. The seams of the abdominal binder leave dents in my back and sides where the swelling is and I wonder if I could give it a night off? At what point can you give yourself a night w/o being tied like a mummy? Is spanks enough compression? Can I sleep in a regular sports bra at this point? My bruises and swelling are 75% better. I know they help but they hurt so much too. Suggestions?

Compression garments

You are best off seeking advice from your surgeon. Depending on the amount of liposuction done, I tend to advise my patients to wear the compression garment constantly for about 6 weeks atleast, many of my patients prefer to wear them for longer (up to 12 weeks) as they feel good in them. Your compression garment needs to fit snugly, but should not be constricting or tight. You can swtich to spanx or lycra support garments after the initial 3 weeks. I do not advise compression garments if I have not done any liposuction and advise my patients to wear a sports bra after their breast surgeries.

Post op compression

This is definitely a question I would ask you plastic surgeon as everyone has a different opinion and a reason for that opinion. How you heal in the first several weeks can also impact the decisions. Check with you plastic surgeon for specifics.

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#realself #drdeanvistnes #breastaugmentation #minitummytuck

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Postoperative care

You can wear a cotton T-shirt underneath the abdominal binder to relieve some of the discomfort. The swelling itself is a normal process and you should not worry about the pressure marks of the seams.
Ask your plastic surgeon when you should change the garments.

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD

Compression garment discomfort

Thank you for your question.  Compression garments should not be this uncomfortable.  It might be too tight.  Consider asking your surgeon for a different size or brand.  Usually around 2 weeks anyway, transition to something like spanx is generally acceptable.  Be sure to discuss specific recommendations regarding compression garments and postoperative care with your surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Compression garments after surgery

Compression garments should be comfortable.  If your garments hurt, you should ask your surgeon for alternative sizes or styles of garment.  Following a mommy makeover, I prefer for my patients to wear compression garments for at least two weeks if possible.  The abdominoplasty binder is more important than the bra compression.

David Stoker, MD

Compression garments post surgery

Compression garments after surgery are a common topic of contention. There is not one right answer here. In my practice, through the years, I have tried a variety of surgical garments. Most are not very comfortable for patients after surgery. They are usually made with firm elastic fabric and either have hook and eye closures or zippers. This can be uncomfortable as wounds are tender and skin is usually bruised. Their purpose is to decrease swelling and help with skin contraction post surgery for the first 10-14 days after surgery. After this initial stage, I usually have my patients transition to a body shaper or spanx that provides support and continues to help with skin contraction and healing. These secondary garments are usually more comfortable and easier to sleep in. All surgeons vary slightly in their surgical protocol. Check with your board certified plastic surgeon to see if you are able to transition to a secondary garment now. Best of luck to you.  

Bout compression devices. I had an augmentation and a mini tummy tuck with some Lipo 12 days ago.

Based on your description, it seems your garment might be too tight for you.  Although, the purpose of garments is for compression, they should not be so restrictive as what you are describing.  Now that you are almost 2 weeks post op, you should be able to switch to less restrictive garments.  Having said that, please make sure you check with your surgeon.  Each one of us has different approaches to this issue and that might differ from what I am telling you here.  I don't want to step over that boundary.  Good luck. Hope this helps.
Best wishes
Dr Vasisht
South Shore Plastic Surgery 
Voorhees, NJ.  

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon

Compression after breast aug and mini TT

Sometimes the compression garments can become very uncomfortable, especially as your body is healing and changing - something that might have fit well earlier in your recovery may not be so good twelve days later.

I tell my own patients that if a bra or garment or binder is painful, leaving dents/marks, or rubbing their skin they should adjust it appropriately, and if that does not help, then stop wearing it.  Getting good compression is an essential part of the healing process, so finding a different bra/garment/binder that works for your body and surgery is critical.

Some of my patients have worn a thin tank top or tee shirt, then placed their abdominal binder on top to keep the seams from digging into their skin.  And at a certain point in their recovery process, I tell my patients that they can transition into a soft sports bra or wireless bra and a Spanx-like garment instead of their postsurgical bra and binder.

Check in with your own surgeon - he/she may be able to provide you with an alternate set of compression devices or give you some guidance about how to find some alternatives.

Hope this helps, and best of luck on the rest of your recovery.
Dr. Lim

Angeline Lim, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon