What is the average policy regarding insurance coverage of labiaplasty?

I'm aware most insurances (to my knowledge) do not cover the procedure as it's considered cosmetic. But with many women it is not simply cosmetic, but impacts their activity level and comfort. I personally experience chafing and some discomfort because of my labia. Have any doctors been able to work with insurance companies to help cover the procedure? Thank you!

Labiaplasty and insurance coverage

Hello,Many women like yourself experience discomfort due to the elongated labia. However  insurance companies require evidence that the procedure is "medically necessary"  and disabling.   In my experience it is mostly considered a cosmetic procedure that improves quality of life and  as such is not covered by insurers.
Regards,Dr. Pedy Ganchi                                                                                                                                                     Village Plastic Surgery

Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Insurance and Labiaplasty

Unfortunately. It would be extremely uncommon for your insurance to cover what they would consider #VaginalRejuvenation Surgery.

Labiaplasty and Insurance Coverage

There are many procedures done with physical benefits that aren't covered by insurance, and labiaplasty is usually one of them. Others include breast reductions, breast lifts, tummy tucks, and upper eyelid lifts. While some patients are able to get coverage, many do not. Yet they still experience great functional (and aesthetic) improvement.More important than getting your labiaplasty covered is to find an expert labiaplasty surgeon: a board-certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist with a particular interest in female genital plastic surgery. I have seen labiaplasty results after surgery that was covered by insurance with poor results, and the patients are looking for someone to reconstruct. So prioritize the quality of the surgeon far above insurance coverage.For more information, click on the link below.All the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty - when will insurance cover it

Thank you for asking about your labiaplasty.
  • I know of no insurance company that covers labiaplasty.
  • Contact your insurer and ask if labiaplasty is covered.
  • If they say your surgeon needs to submit a predetermination letter, ask her/him to do so.
  • But do not get your hopes up. Insurers pay for less and less - chances are high, no matter your problems, to have a labiaplasty, it will be self-pay.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Insurers look to save money

The unfortunate truth is insurers look towards saving money. If they can find an excuse that a procedure should not be covered, they take it. Often they simply pay so poorly that quality surgeons will not take their rate for many operations. Plastic surgeons are often hit with the "Cosmetic" exclusion. I do not even try to do labiaplasty under insurance. I do the procedure in the office and keep the costs down that way. 

Best Regards,
John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty & insurance coverage

Dear Lolo1345Thank you for sharing your question as this is asked often.  Insurance companies in the past rarely paid for the surgical procedure -- labia reduction.   Since the so called "Affordable Healthcare Act" has been implemented the chance of getting the insurance  companies to pay now is even less possible as the deductible have increased dramatically.  In the past the patients would often have deductibles of $1000 or $2000 but now I have patients coming in with deductibles of $8,0000 to 12,000.00.This means you need to pay the first $8,000-12000 out of your pocket prior to the insurance company helping out.  The affordable healthcare act is not so affordable for patients and has changed the game.   Please choose a surgeon based upon their experience, expertise, reputation and results (before and after photos) do not choose a surgeon based upon location and so called board certification.
John R Miklos MD
Urogynecology & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Insurance coverage for labiaplasty- make sure you do not have "genital mutilation..."

The short answer is "no." (see the weblink below-- # 9, and other areas on my site.) The longer answer is more complicated. There are many "general gynecologists" (your "...friendly local Gyn...") who will accept insurance, admit you to a hospital, put you to sleep, and do God knows what to your labia, as the procedure they are doing, for both hospital privileging and insurance billing is called "partial vulvectomy," and frequently that is exactly what thy do: "amputate" a portion of your labia, leave any large clitoral hood component untouched. Virtually all the "botched labiaplasties you see on this site, and that I and other experts see in consultation for revision or in consultation with lawyers in a lawsuit are performed by "general gynecologists," NONE of whom were specifically trained for this demanding plastic procedure in their Gyn Residency training.
Additionally, frequently the co-pays you have to pay to the hospital are almost as much as an expery Gyn plastic/cosmetic surgeon would charge. My suggestion is to find a true expert and, if you can't pay the fee, ask about both financing, or perhaps a discount... YES-- I have in past years performed a couple of these procedures on very young women with HUGE labia under insurance, and it was a "bitch" to get the Ins Co. to pay...
Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

In my experience with many of these surgeries, it is easier to get insurance coverage in teenagers than other patients.  With enough documentation from gyn and your family doctor, some patients can be covered by insurance, but the copays for insurance are high enough that most patients prefer to self pay.

Susan Kolb, MD

Insurance will not cover labiaplasty even if your labia are on fire 24/7/365

I've been performing labiaplasties for over two decades and have never had an insurance agree to cover the procedure for medical reasons other than cancer. Your story is the same as that of every woman who simply wants relief from discomfort. There's alot of hypocrisy in the system. Hemorrhoidectomy and adult male circumcision for identical symptoms are always covered. I offer payment plans through third party finance companies as do many surgeons who offer these procedures.

Insurance does not pay for cosmetic labiaplasty

Hello Lolo1345,Cosmetic Labiaplasty procedures are not covered by insurance no matter what your complaints are. 40-60% of women who desire Labiaplasty experience discomfort. Of these, 100% of them would like to have an improved aesthetic outcome. IF you want to have symmetric, natural looking labia postoperatively then I recommend you find a surgeon with an artistic eye and experience in performing proper labia reductions.  To accomplish this the clitoral hood often needs reduced. Only after a detailed consultation with an experience cosmetic vaginal surgeon would you know what your options are.Please see link below for advice in finding the best surgeon for you. We'd be happy to do a virtual consultation and answer any further questions.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist