Why is my nose so big after surgery? It's been five weeks and it got longer?

Incomplete hump removal

Sometimes it is possible that the surgeon did not remove an of hump.  It is a judgment call.  Sometimes you can not make neck rate assessment and end up either taking too much or leaving too much behind.You should give it a few more months and then consider a revision hump removal.

Regards

Dr. J

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Recovery

Thank you for your question. It is usually 6 months before the nose is completely healed.  Even though it is difficult, it is important to be patient during the early healing phase. Please call your surgeon with any questions or concerns so they can fully evaluate the situation. Best wishes!

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose after surgery

Thank you for your question. Remember, you should always address any post-operative concerns with your primary surgeon. It is very important to remember it takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip. I hope you find this helpful. Best of luck in your recovery!

Sincerely,
James Fernau, MD, FACS, member of The Rhinoplasty Society

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

In general, swelling contributes to what you might be seeing. In all fairness, preop photos would help and also an understanding of what surgical maneuvers were performed would help as well.

Rhinoplasty Recovery

At 1 month, you are extremely early in your recovery period and the nose is expected to be quite swollen at this point. The majority of the swelling will resolve in 3-6 months, and will continue to resolve as your nose heals for up to 1-2 years. You have not reached your final shape as the nose will continue to heal and reduce in size for up to a year. Once it does reach its final shape you may be more pleased with the appearance of your nose.

Donald B. Yoo, MD