Is this normal progression for 12 days post op? (Photo)

My side view looks squarish, the bottoms of my breast are empty, long looking and my nipples are low. My left breast seems like it shifted off to the side some. Is this normal ?

Is this normal progression for 12 days post op?

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure.  Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment and advice.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. 

Many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting (and that they have better "cleavage"). Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. Similarly, it takes a few months for the press to "soften" in most cases.  Most of my patients tell me that their breast implants feel "part of them" somewhere between 3 to 6 months after surgery was performed.  

There is definitely a physiologic and "psychological" (body image)  adaptation process that occurs, at differing rates for every patient, for patients who undergo any type of aesthetic surgery, including breast  augmentation surgery.  Understandably, patients often experience significant emotional "ups and downs" around the time of surgery.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Breast augmentation

It is very early in the healing process and you will  have to give it time to heal and settle.  Best of luck.

2 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 

In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

#ASPS #breastimplants #breastaugmentation

Hello Nicole, Congratulations on your recent surgery and thank you for sharing your question about your post operative recovery and results after your surgery.  Final results can take up to six months for all the swelling to subside.  At our office here at CARE we actually see all of our surgery patients the very next day after surgery and then again at two weeks and beyond. We enjoy staying closely connected to our patients and enjoy giving the extra attention and service.  Your concerns are important to discuss directly with your board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will appreciate the open communication and will want to help you. I hope this is helpful and wish you all the very best.  Sincerely, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS
CARE Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

Post op

It is still early in your healing process.It will take 4-6 months for the implants to drop and the breast to shape up.You may need a lift in the future to reposition your nipple/areola comples higher

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Normal after Breast Augmentation?

Thanks for your question.  While it is still very early after surgery and you can expect some significant changes in shape of the breast and position of the implants over time, your nipple position may still be low enough to require a lift once everything has settled.  By 3-6 months after surgery it should be clear whether the shape and nipple position is where you want it and you should discuss any remaining concerns with your surgeon.  In the meantime it would be helpful to let him or her know your concerns at this time so you can get an idea of what the surgeon's expectation for your recovery and possible need for any further surgery might be.  Often the adjustment required to reposition the nipple is much less involved after the implants have settled so it is worth waiting it out. Good luck.

Kerry Owens, MD

Thank you for your question and photograph. After placement of implants, the appearance of the breasts will change dramatically over the next several months, as the implants drop, and the overlying tissue stretches to accommodate the extra volume. In your case the swelling from surgery is flattening your implants and holding them high on your chest.  As this swelling resolves, the volume within the implant will redistribute towards the lower portion of the breast achieving a more natural appearance.   I know waiting is difficult, but judge your results at 4-6 months after surgery as most of your breast changes should have occurred by then. Hope this helps.

Normal?

Congratulations on getting breast implants! Early asymmetry and not ideal shapes is completely normal after breast augmentation. It will take time for the skin to stretch and the breast implants to drop and fluff. Be sure to follow closely with your plastic surgeon's office and learn what you can do to speed you breast healing. Best wishes, Dr. ALDO : 

Aldo Guerra, MD

Post Op

Without seeing your before pictures it is very hard to tell. I would say before your surgery your nipple distances were different as they are now. To get nipple position higher you would have to do some type of lift. Either a full mastopexy or a circle mastopexy- depending how much correction you want. Your implants will only make you a larger version of what you were before surgery. Give your breasts time to heal- a good three months. Good luck!

Ed Breazeale, Jr., MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon