How long will it take to get feeling back in my tummy after a full tummy tuck?

How long will it take to get feeling back in my tummy after a full tummy tuck. And when will I be able to stand straight up?

Sensation takes months to return and some areas stay numb

hello. The sensation takes months and even years to come back.  Some areas below the belly button may have permanent numbness. This is because the nerves are cut to mobilize the skin. Good luck.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

It can take months for sensation to return. In some cases it never returns fully.  You should speak to your surgeon regarding your concerns. Everyone is very different. You should be able to stand up straight soon after surgery, but it may be very uncomfortable. Listen to your body, if it hurts, it may take a little longer. Best wishes!

Return of sensation can take months

Thank you for your question. How long it takes to stand straight up depends on how much skin was removed; however, most patients are upright in 7-10 days.  The numbness will last for several months but it can take up to two years for nerves to regenerate and provide sensation. It is possible that, low down by your scar, you may have some permanent loss of sensation.  I had a patient burn herself very badly after a tummy tuck by using a heating pad on her abdomen because she could not feel the heat. So, don't use a heating pad on your abdomen while it is numb. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon