Do I need a full Tummy tuck? (Photos)

My biggest concern with a full tummy tuck is not being able to get a 6 pack. Another concern is the fake looking belly button from a tummy tuck. What I would love to do is to pull the loose skin below the belly button down and pull the loose skin above my genitals upward and remove the middle area of skin that is scared from acne, not sure what can be done about the loose saggy and scared inner thigh skin. I feel whatever procedure is necessary I am ready to move forward with this winter.

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It is important when looking for a plastic surgeon for a tummy tuck that you find one who is board certified to obtain the best results possible. From the photos you have posted, you look like a candidate for a traditional tummy tuck to correct the loose skin and tighten the abdominal wall. When I perform a tummy tuck, I tighten the diastasis rectus muscle which brings in the waist. I think you would be happy with the results from a traditional tummy tuck with the incision placed discreetly in the pubic area. If you are worried about the scar associated with a full tummy tuck, there are topical scar creams as well as laser treatments that can diminish the look of the scar and make it finer and less noticeable. I hope this helps!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck candidate

An excellent choice for you.

In this regard, I'm totally agree with you, therefore i recommend you a Full Tummy Tuck with muscle repair, to get a flat abdomen. 

Respectfully 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Loose skin removed with tummy tuck

Due to how much loose skin you appear to have, a full tummy tuck would be better suited to you. An experienced board certified plastic surgeon would be able to create a natural looking belly button. You can check out the before/after photos of previous patients to get an idea of how your belly button would look. An inner thigh lift may be required to address the loose skin there. 

Do I need a full Tummy tuck?

All procedures have a trade-off between benefits and downsides. A limited (mini) tummy tuck may be OK in such a case but may also leave loose skin in the upper and middle abdomen, but with no scar around the belly button. A thigh lift may help also.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Full vs. Mini Tummy Tuck

A full tummy tuck can remove as much unwanted skin as possible, slightly pulls up the front of the thighs, tightens the abdominal muscles (if there is a rectus diastasis or gap in the muscles - usually from weight gain and loss or pregnancy), and does require a scar around the belly button. A mini-tummy tuck can address the lower abdominal skin and does not make a scar around the belly button. The drawback is that the skin above the belly button cannot be tightened. You may want to have a mini-tummy tuck if you do not want the abdominal scar and this will tighten the lower skin - you would have to accept that the upper skin will remain the same. Best wishes!

Full tummy tuck best after large weight loss

Your pictures show a degree of skin laxity consistent with large weight loss, and even though the upper abdominal skin appears less affected it is unlikely that you would be happy with a mini tummy tuck. I am not sure why you are under the impression that a mini would give you a six-pack but not a full.

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy tuck

It looks like you lost a lot of weight and a full tummy tuck is what you likely need to get rid of a lot of the loose skin.

You have options

Thank you for your question and photographs. It appears that you are in good shape and have lost a significant amount of weight leaving excess loose skin.  Based on the photos alone, you could either go with an extended mini-tuck to just get rid of the lower abdominal skin and the loose skin below.  The mini, however, will not tighten the upper abdominal skin.  You don't  have to get a fake looking belly button with a full tuck. Neither procedure will give you a six pack as that is done with extensive abdominal workouts.  A medial thigh lift can get rid of much of the loose, scarred medial thigh skin and tighten that area without visible scars in clothes.  Be sure to see an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a full tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the underwear line.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Tummy Tuck Massive weight loss

Thanks for your question and the photos. It appears that you have done a great job with fitness and weight loss. Unfortunately the consequence is loose skin. Both full and mini tummy tuck pull the tummy skin down, and the pubic skin upward, but a full tummy tuck can remove much more skin, neither precludes a six pack, but that still requires a good amount of exercise even beyond skin tightening. A pinch test can help your PS guide you  toward mini of full, but I suspect based on the photos you would do better with full. Nothing is as natural as a non operated belly button, but I find  smaller belly buttons look less noticeable. Discuss this concern with our PS as well. 

The inner thighs look like you  would benefit from thigh lift, but be sure you are comfortable with this surgery. It Tends to be less gratifying than tummy tuc and the scars are more of a consideration.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon