Breast Augmentation; How does capsular contraction happen and what can you do to prevent it from occurring?

I'm one month out from a mommy make over and I fear getting capsular contraction.

Things that may help prevent capsular contraction

The main known reasons for capsular contraction  are related to low grade bacteria  around the implant and bleeding.  Patients  who have contraction form previous implants are prone to have it again, as are patients with previous breast radiation. I suggest you discuss with your surgeon the use of a Keller funnel, which is a device that allows for placement of the implant into the breast pocket  without touching surrounding skin. Also placement of the implant below the pectoral muscle  is know  to decrease  scar tissue formation.  Breast massage is considered  old fashioned these days, but I still recommend it to my patients. If  contraction seems to be setting in , there are also oral medications  that can help. 
Best regards, 

Prashant Soni M.D.

Danbury Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture

The most common theory for developing  capsular contracture is related to a low level bacterial infection leading to what is called biofilm causing the local tissues to react to  it.

Info about capsular contracture

Unfortunately we don't know everything that causes capsular contracture. Usually your body makes a scar around the implant (the capsule) which is soft and you can't see it or feel it. If it gets "bad scar tissue", then the breast can get hard and look like a ball on your chest. It can even hurt.We do know that bleeding and infection can cause capsular contracture so we always do a lot to avoid those risks. Bleeding is most often caused by lifting something too heavy (over 5 lbs) in the first couple weeks after surgery. It can require going back to the OR to stop the bleeding and remove the blood. Infection is rare but difficult to treat with implants in place. We do know that putting the implant under the muscle decreases the risk of capsular contracture as well.Best wishes!