What does it mean when a surgeon said that he will reduce from side of nose when it's a bulbous nose?

I did not see any change of my nose .After rhinoplasty. A big chaang???What I am going to have after 1 year. When the surgeon reduce only for side and nostrils?

Bulbous nasal tip

Thank you for your question.  A bulbous nasal tip is usually caused because the lower lateral cartilages are enlarged and also displaced laterally.  This requires surgical reduction and cartilage grafting to the lower lateral cartilages so they do not lose support. It also requires suturing the medial portion of the cartilage to achieve a more natural look and additionally suturing the right and left lower lateral cartilages together to decrease the width of the nose.  This is a very precise and meticulous surgery and if done by a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty, the results can be excellent.  I hope you find this helpful. Best of luck in your endeavors!

Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS

Board Certified ENT

Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Nose change

It takes a long time for the swelling of the nasal tip to subside. At times it takes a year if you have thick skin of the nasal tip.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon