With varying I have the most tummy fat i have ever had. Is there a choice less than undergoing radical surgery?

I went to a Plastic Surgeon and he insisted it would be major surgery due to a past vertical cesarian section years ago. Is that the only option. I want to work out and be more active (i am over 60) but that never seems to help with the fat build up this past year.

Reducing excess tummy fat

There are many effective options for improving abdominal contour but surgery is  not a substitute for weight loss.  In order to obtain the best result and reduce risks, you should seek professional guidance for healthy weight loss through lifestyle change, nutritional modifications and a daily exercise plan prior to undergoing body contouring surgery.  There are also non surgical options such as Vanquish ME which are effective but you will need an evaluation from an experienced and qualified physician in order to obtain the best outcome.

Excess abdominal fat

if liposuction is elected over abdominoplasty more skin tightening may be obtained by energy based devices such as ultrasonic (vaser ) or laser assisted liposuction ( slim or smart liposuction, both sold by cynosure ).

Stomach or Abdominal Fat: VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring / Tummy tuck

To get the results you want, you may need Vaser Hi-DEF liposuction, body sculpting and a tummy tuck. Just lipo may not give you the dramatic results and contouring you want. Please see an expert for a consultation. Best, Dr. Emer

Removing abdominal fat

Thank you for asking about your abdominal fat.
  •  It isn't clear whether your surgeon is recommending a tummy tuck or liposuction.
  • Since you have had children, it is probably a tummy tuck.
  • However without a photo, one can't say if this is what you need.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Tummy tuck

Check your BMI based on your height and weight.  If it is over 30, I would recommend you diet and excercise to loose more weight prior to undergoing a tummy tuck procedure.  Once your BMI is < 30, you can undergo a lipoabdominoplasty safely to help contour your abdomen and waist.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

It is impossible to judge without either a photograph or a face-to-face examination but there are two types of fat that you should be aware of. Internal visceral fat will not respond to any treatment other than diet and exercise.  If you are over a healthy maintainable weight that would be my first priority for you.  If the fat is under the skin and can be pinched as a double layer that is 2 to 3 inches or more thick liposuction may be very helpful though lacks any tightening benefits on the muscle and provides minimal tightening of the skin.  A nonsurgical alternative to liposuction or tummy tuck that might be helpful is iLipo to reduce the fat pad layer immediately beneath the skin.  It has no effect on internal "visceral" fat but many patients lose 2 to 4 inches after a painless course of about 8 treatments.  Unlike with fat freezing techniques there is no risk of paradoxical hyperplasia (growth and thickening of fat).  This may be available in your area and might be an alternative for you to consider if you are trying to avoid surgery.  Remember the loose skin and muscle relaxation will not be helped only the fat padding layer immediately beneath the skin would be thinned.
Good luck and best wishes.
Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question.  It depends on your individual anatomy.   If you are an appropriate candidate, a tummy tuck can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Belly Fat - what to do

Abdominal fat varies greatly person to person as does the most ideal treatment.   Patients with relatively small amounts of fat may be able to get away with non-invasive options such as coolsculpting or sculpsure.  Patients with more fat or in need of more contouring can achieve good results with liposuction as long as the fat is not too voluminous and the skin elasticity is good.  Patients with significant overhangs or laxity are better candidates for tummy tucks.   But in patients with significant intra-abdominal or visceral fat (non-pinchable fat) the only treatment is diet and exercise.   Having had a vertical c-section doesn't necessarily preclude you from options.  None of the body contouring options are a replacement for diet and exercise.  It is important to be evaluated with a good medical history and physical to make sure you are healthy enough to undergo any body contouring options.  It is never a bad idea to get a second opinion.  

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Weight gain after 60

women tend to have more problems with weight than men. I suggest you see your primary care doctor, get a workup to include hormone analysis. Diet is the most important step and exercise will help, but actually burns very little fat unless you do it for hpurs a day.

Robert V. Mandraccia, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Alternatives

Proper diet and exercise are important to your health.  Even if you choose to have surgery, diet and exercise still need to be part of your routine.  Speak with your primary care doctor or a dietician in your area for new ways that you can help reduce fat.  Look into different types of exercise and find some options that appeal to you.

Camille Cash, MD