3 days post-op. Swelling between breasts normal? (Photo)

I'm on day 3 post op after a breast augmentation. I notice I have swelling between my breasts and it has gone down a bit today but it still hurts and is still noticeable. Is this a normal thing or something to worry about? And do I seem to be healing normally?

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photographs.

It is important to address any post-operative concerns with your plastic surgeon. You are very early on in your recovery. Swelling after a breast augmentation occurs with 100% of patients, eventually the swelling will go down and your breasts will drop into their pockets. If the breasts are sitting too high, the use of a breast binder is beneficial to add downward pressure. I would also find out when you can begin your breast massages and start those. Your doctor may also prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help with the swelling. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Breast augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery

3 days post op

Congratulations on your recent BA. Based on the photos you have provided, nothing appears to be abnormal at this point. Edema (swelling) between the breasts is normal and will go down with time. If you should have any concerns about your recovery please contact your surgeon. Good luck. 

3 days post op

Swelling between breasts

Thank you for your question. This not unusual at this moment. I don't see anything to worry here. Please follow instructions from your PS

Swelling between breasts

3 days postop. Swelling between breasts normal.

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  In the first days after surgery it is not uncommon to see some swelling of the tissues over the sternum, especially when larger implants are placed.  As your results mature you should see this swelling and discomfort resolve.  I would not worry about your current results as you appear to have a distinct plane between your implants and your healing appears to be appropriate for 3 days postop.  Hope this helps.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

I appreciate your question.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast augmentation

You are very early postop and the swelling will continue to reduce. It can take a few months for this to happen and it is important to follow up with your PS and keep to his/her postop instructions. 

Breast augmentation

Breast augmentation: Is the swelling between my breasts normal?

From the pictures you posted, it appears you are doing well and that all looks pretty normal at 3 days after your breast augmentation. When concerned about your progress after surgery, it's always a good idea to check in with your surgeon. Good luck. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Early post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. Its too early to talk about results. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Respectfully 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Early post op, some advices:

Respectfully 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Normal

Swelling is still common 3 days after surgery.  Please continue to follow-up with your surgeon and follow all instructions.  Time is your friend moving forward.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Normal

Hope this helps.

Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Postop breast aug swelling

Good question! I understand your concern.

You are very early in the postoperative period right now.  It takes about 2 weeks for the first phase of postoperative swelling to subside, and then another 6 months before it has completely resolved. 

Based on the photos, I don't see anything concerning. With regard to the swelling between your breasts, it doesn't appear to be abnormal. You still have a normal cleavage between the breasts.  However, photos cannot take the place of an in-person examination.  If you are concerned, you should still meet with your physician.

Postop breast aug swelling