What supplies should I have on hand after a tummy tuck and breast reduction combo?

My husband will be caring for me and he's bad at making store runs.

Supplies to Have on Hand After Mommy Makeover

Most surgeons give their patients detailed information on how to prepare preoperatively and post operatively. The main thing would be to have all your prescriptions filled and available. Preparing meals in advance and freezing them may make life easier for all. Have several days of clothing sorted out, things that are easy to get in and out of that open in the front, and shoes that are easy to slip on and off. A recliner is good for sleeping on or have extra pillows available. Good luck!

Preparing for post op

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery.  I applaud you for getting prepared ahead of time.  Your surgeon should go over anything you may need at home at a preoperative visit.  Some surgeons will call your pain medications in ahead of time so that you can have those on hand when you arrive home.  You will want to have pillows handy for positioning.  Keeping your knees in a slightly bent position will take some of the pressure off of your abdomen.  You may also want some gauze and tape in case it is needed.  You may not have much of an appetite for the first few days, so some easy to digest foods are good to have such as soups, yogurt, applesauce, etc. Best of luck to you!

Camille Cash, MD

Thank you for your excellent question.  Your surgeon should provide you with a list of useful tips and techniques for an easier recovery but there are a few things to keep in mind.  The first thing you need is a good assistant at home for the first 1-2 weeks after surgery.  They can help you get in and out of bed, provide you balance while walking and grab you items as you need them.  It is wise to have your prescriptions filled out and ready prior to surgery so that you needn't worry about them.  Dressing supplies to catch any drainage from your incisions is advisable and this may be gauze, feminine napkins, tape, etc.  You may want to consider having a second garment in case your surgical one becomes soiled.  Consider where you will want to rest and recover. If in a bed you will want extra pillows to prop under your back or knees as well as a rope tied to the end of your bed to help get you up.  If you are in a recliner chair practice getting in and out.  Be sure to have a level area that you can walk around in safely after surgery to avoid blood clots.  Have some simple foods readily available to eat as well as lots of liquids.  You may also want to consider a stool softener to avoid bloating and constipation.  Hope this helps. 

Mommy Makeover Supplies

Thank you for your question.  There are a few things I recommend patients have at home after surgery.  Postoperatively, I suggest foods that are low in sodium content (sodium can increase swelling) and foods that are easy on the stomach, as you may experience some nausea from the pain medication/anesthesia.  Additionally, it is helpful to have some gauze and tape in case you have to change dressing or have any drainage from incisions.  Lastly, remember to get your prescriptions filled prior to surgery.  Best of luck to you! 

Carmen Kavali, MD