Removal of textured saline implants with local anesthesia - feasible option?

I am interested in having my textured saline implants removed via local anesthesia in the surgeon's office. Do textured implants present problems in terms of removing with just local anesthesia? Is there any benefit to draining the implants 2 weeks prior to removal if the patient is positive they do not want additional reconstructive surgery?

Remove textured implants with local anesthesia

Thank you for asking about your breast implant removal.

• Smooth saline implants can easily be removed under local anesthesia -
  • Textured ones are much harder since your tissues grow into the capsule.
  • Also the capsule around the implant may be abnormal and need to be removed.
  • If you want good care, you need to be asleep with both implants remove and maybe both capsules removed.
  • Having a lift to restore your breast shape is recommended but not required.
  • I see no benefit to deflating the implant in advance.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Explantation

Total capsulectomy with drains and not draining implants prior to surgery is the safest route in order to avoid comlications.  Especially with textured implants.

Susan Kolb, MD

Although there are situations where breast implants can be removed under local anesthesia only, textured breast implants may be quite "adherent" to the surrounding tissues making their removal more challenging.  In my practice (keeping safety and patient comfort principles in mind), I would not do the procedure under  local anesthesia only. 

Generally speaking, in office deflation of saline breast implants is an option for some patients. For example, if a patient wishes to downsize breast implants and/or undergo breast lifting surgery, it may be in her best interests to have an in office deflation performed; doing so has the advantage of allowing the skin to “bounce back” slowly. Both the patient and her plastic surgeon will be able to determine more accurately, what will be in her best interests with subsequent surgery. Planning of additional surgery, such as breast lifting, may also be and easier and more accurate proceeding in this fashion. 

In office deflation may be a good idea for patients trying to decide whether to undergo breast implant removal altogether or downsizing of breast implants; this will give them a good idea of what their breasts will look like without implants.   Again, whether or not breast lifting ( and/or other maneuvers) will be indicated will be more easily determined. 

Obviously, in office deflation does commit patients to additional surgery (at the very least, breast implant shell removal). Sometimes as breast implants deflate, patients report discomfort as a breast implant edges irritate the surrounding tissues.

You may the find attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

I would not recommend removing textured implants in the office.   If you are planning on removing saline implants and not replacing them, deflating them in the office a few weeks prior can often be helpful to help determine if the results will be acceptable to you. 

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Removing textured saline implants

Hello- great question-

Deflating the implants ahead of planned removal can be a nice tool to reassure you about what your breasts might look like without implants. They may look oddly shaped at first after deflation, but often the shape improves over a period of several weeks.

Removal of the textured implants can probably be done under local. Some textured implants "stick" more and may require some tugging to remove. Other textured implants don't get any "tissue adherence" and will slip out almost as easily as smooth. In most cases, women can have their saline implants removed without having to go under anesthesai.

I hope that helps-

Removal of texture saline implants with local anesthisia in office.

You should consult with your personal surgeon as individual cases will vary and recommendations may change based on your individual findings. If you are planning on removing saline implants and not replacing them, deflating them in the office a few weeks prior can often be helpful to help determine whether that plan will give results that are acceptable to you. For example, removal of implants without a replacement may result in extra skin/sagginess that might make you consider a breast lift. Provided you only end up removing the implants, it is conceivable that you would be able to perform that surgery with local anesthetic in the office.