Can I reduce Gynecomastia with exercise? Is this even true Gynecomastia? (photos)

I have had moobs since I can remember. In recent years, I have steadily lost weight and I'm 20 lbs from my goal of 175. Current stats: 6ft, 195 lbs, ~18% Body fat. I went to the doctor and he recommended surgical excision and Smartlipo. I need a second opinion on whether my breast tissue is due to fat, excess glandular tissue or both. If it is fat, can I just ramp up my cardio to get rid of it? I only want to go under the knife if it is absolutely necessary. I can provide more photos, if needed.

Gynecomastia . . . will exercise help?

At 18% body fat, you are already in good physical condition. Based on your photos, and my experience with similar patients, I expect that ramping up your cardio to achieve a further reduction in body fat will only lead to a slight improvement. The photos demonstrate a disproportionate fullness covering the lower portion of the pec major muscle which leads me to believe that you do have 'true' gynecomastia. If that's the case, then the tissue is not fat, but rather a fibrous tissue that will persist despite any further weight loss. A treatment plan that combines surgical excision and liposuction seems quite reasonable.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Can I reduce Gynecomastia with exercise? Is this even true Gynecomastia?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Accurate diagnosis would necessitate physical examination. It IS important to differentiate  as uncomfortable as gynecomastia ( excess breast tissue) from lipomastia ( otherwise known as pseudo-gynecomastia or excess adipose tissue of chest wall). Treatment will differ depending on diagnosis. 

Generally speaking, liposuction surgery alone is useful to treat lipomastia (an enlarged chest secondary to adipose tissue); rarely does it suffices as the only modality of treatment when it comes to treating true gynecomastia. Most patients with gynecomastia benefit from direct excision of glandular tissue plus/minus peripheral liposuction surgery.

My best suggestion: get to where you want to be through healthy diet/exercise, if you are not already there.  Then, if you remain concerned about the appearance of the chest wall, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Can I reduce Gynecomastia with exercise?

The simple answer is no: exercise will not make gynaecomastia disappear. The glandular element will always remain. From your photos , there is a slight fullness inferiorly, but hard to say if this is true gyanecomastia. Visit a board certified plastic surgeon and get them to examine you and give you an opinion. Good going with 18% body fat, well done!

Exercise does not improve true gynecomastia

Exercise does not improve true gynecomastia,there are many body builders that suffer from it in spite of being in great shape

Mordcai Blau, MD

this is always a tricky type question to answer. The first part is pretty simple. Get down to your goal weight and give it some time at that new number and see how things end up. If it's still an issue the only answer we know will be surgery. This can all be done through a tiny incision inside your armpit with no visible scar on the front of your chest. make sure you're speaking to a board-certified plastic surgeon that does this operation regularly. Hope this helps.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Consulting with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to Determine

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades. About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement. 

There are three types of surgical treatment options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding. 
Not only will this decrease risks of complications, but will also enhance the aesthetic results. Further, normal body weight is different from one patient to another.