How do I prepare for a consulation appointment?

what is the procedure/process from the consultation appointment-the actual surgery for breast agumentation?

Preparing for a consultation

You have asked an excellent question.  While you are not expected to be an expert on breast surgery, it is helpful to have done some homework before your consultation so you can get the most out of your visit.  First you need to determine which plastic surgeons to see.  A good starting point is to be certain you are seeing a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.  Preferably, the surgeon also is a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.  You should check reviews and photos and read as much about the procedure as you can.  When you have your consultation, see if the doctor spends time with you or are you spending most of your time with a staff member.  Get a sense if the doctor cares about you as an individual and is honest about your expectations and the risks of the procedure.  Look at photos of the doctor's own patients and ask about the doctor's experience with patients such as you.  It is often helpful to have several consultations as you learn something new each time.  Ultimately you must find a physician that you trust and have confidence in.  Good luck.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Prepare for Consultation

Do your homework! Seek out only surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Plan on two or three consultations.  Check out their website galleries and get a gestalt for sincerity and professionalism of the doctor and the office staff.  Then follow your gut.

Hi. You have begun in the right place.....RealSelf. This forum offers tons of information. The more you read up on the procedure the better off you will be.

I am certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and have practiced in the"land of breast implants", Miami, for the past 30 years. I encourage you to look up the surgeon you eventually select and make sure they have years of experience in performing cosmetic breast surgery. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits? LOOK UP REVIEWS!

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

Do you want to remain locally for your surgery or are you willing to travel?

I wish you the best on your journey. I hope that the info provided has been helpful. Should you require any further clarification, do not hesitate to contact our institute. I answer all questions personally, not through patient coordinators or other marketing individuals.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical inform

What steps are involved in the consultation to surgery process for a #breastaugmentation #plasticsurgery?

Hi Lanisha, Thank you for sharing your question about how to prepare for a breast augmentation consultation with a plastic surgeon.  First it's important to meet with a plastic surgeon who is certified or a member of at least one, if not all these organizations:
*Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery -- The gold star symbol
*A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) -- The circle symbol
*A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) -- the Queen Nefertiti symbol with a Triangle
It's also good to make sure the surgeon has performed many procedures of the surgery you are considering.  Once you've establised a surgeon or several to meet with you can expect the following (or something similar to this):
*an in-person medical history intake from the nurse or medical staff
*an in-person consultation with the surgeon and measurements will be taken (at this stage it's good to have a notebook to take notes of any questions you may have and aswers provided by your surgeon)
*review before and after photos of patients similar to you
*review reviews of past patients who have had similar surgeries
*implant sizer "try on" session
*possible 3-D imaging to show how you may look in the future
*a quote with a breakdown of all costs involved for your surgery (including surgeon's fees, operating room fees, anesthesia, pre-operative and post operative visits, implants, surgical garments, etc)
*look for a surgery dates
*pre operative clearance will be performed
*pre operative appointment to review risks involved
*surgery date 
I hope this has been helpful for you.  Of course every case is unique and every surgeon has his or her own protocols. It's good that youre starting your research early.
Very best to you.  -Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation consultation

thank you for your question,

getting ready for a consultation is reading about the topic, choosing the surgeon.

write your concerns and desires.

get a picture.

let the surgeon walk you through the consultation and keep your  questions to the end.

this helps the surgeon concentrating on your case till the end.

some surgeon use simulation devices. this helps customize the treatment plan.

give you a visual, for a better consent choice of implant size and shape

Jacques Haddad, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

How do I prepare for a breast augmentation consultation

It really depends on the surgeon but it helps to have an idea of what you are looking for. Bring in photos to give your surgeon a sense of why looks good to you however have realistic expectations and understand that no one can exactly duplicate someone else's breasts as each woman is different.

At some point during the consultation process you may have a fitting session for implant sizing. Bring a bra in the size you are hoping to be and a tight t-shirt to get and idea of what the different sized implants will look like.

Each surgeon will have a different day of surgery protocol but in general you should try to relax the day before. Nothing to eat or drink after midnight, arrive an hour or so before surgery to prepare and stay in the facility for a few hours after to allow you to recover from your general anaesthetic.

Hope that helps!

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

What do I ask at my consultation for a breast augmentation?

Consultations are conducted in different ways depending on the plastic surgeon you see. You should first do your homework and make sure that you are being seen by a board-certified plastic surgeon. You can determine this on their website prior to scheduling a consult. I recommend the patients I see write down questions they have from soup to nuts. The consultation typically begins with a review of your medical history followed by examination with measurements and often a set of photographs. Implant sizing typically comes nest where implants of appropriate measurements are used with a sports bra. I use a 3D imaging system as well which allows an approximation of your result but can certainly be no guarantee. You should ask questions about incisions, do your need a lift, above vs below the muscle in addition to where the surgery is performed (should be an accredited surgical facility), who will do you anesthesia and as much info as you can about post-op to include activity restrictions, medications return to activities, etc. This is a lot of information but you are much better off going into a visit prepared as much as you can.

I hope this is helpful.

Dr. Michael Edwards

Breast augmentation

Typically at your first visit, we discuss your goals for surgery then I perform a physical exam. We then go over your 3D images taken with the Vectra program and we look at your anatomy and different size implants. After all of your questions are answered, you will meet with my coordinator to go over pricing and scheduling. Once you schedule, we meet again during your preop appointment to fill out paperwork and take pictures. Hope this helps!

Jules Walters, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation surgery

Thank you for your question. There has been much written about how to find a plastic surgeon. At the very minimum, you want to find someone who is board certified and preferably in your area and has significant experience doing breast augmentation. You may want to schedule 2-3 doctors to have consultation with. Ask yourself if you feel comfortable with the PS you are most interested. Ask your friends who had the surgery already. They are often a good source of information. Study the web sites of the PS. I hope this helps and good luck.

Neil T. Chen, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon