What does a mini tummy tuck consist of? (photo)

I'm having a bbl and a mini tummy tuck. It was a last minute decision, and I would just like to know what it consists of. Will I keep my old belly button? (I have a scar from a rejected piercing) will my scar above my belly button go away? Will my breasts be any perkier from the procedure? Will I still have loose skin? I plan to speak to my surgeon just would like some answers ASAP to ease my mind.

Mini-tummy tuck?

A mini-tummy tuck is a limited abdominoplasty. It is appropriate for patients with minimal skin excess localized below the umbilicus (belly-button). The operation is performed through a shorter incision with dissection carried up to the level of the belly button and no further. There is no per-umbilical incision because the majority of the excess/laxity is below that point. There is also limited access for placating/tightening the muscle. The take-away message being: a mini-tuck gives less dramatic results for a less dramatic issue. 

To address your questions specifically:

-The belly button is typically unaffected as the surgery is directed at the lower abdomen

-There will be no affect on your breasts

-The presence or absence of loose skin will depend on the aggressiveness of the surgeon. However, it is important to remember that during a mini-tummy tuck the skin above the umbilicus will not be addressed.

After reviewing your photos, I would suggest considering a full abdominoplasty for an overall better result. You appear to have more skin excess than can typically be addressed via the more limited procedure.

As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Westchester Plastic Surgeon

Mini tuck only corrects lower abdomen

Hi Loladoll2.  Your photo suggests to me that you would get maximum shaping with a full tuck and liposuction of the waist & hips.  The old belly button is revised in a full tuck (not mini) and the scar can be included in a full tuck (not a mini).  Your breasts will not be perkier with a mini tuck-usually this requires a lift and possibly even an implant to fill out the upper portion of your breasts.  You will have no changes to the loose skin above the belly button or flanks- there may be some minor changes in the hips & waist if your incision is taken out far enough to the sides. Your surgeon will be able to provide more information when he/she examines you in person and you discuss your desired/expected outcome.  Best wishes,

What is a mini

A mini tummy tuck addresses the area from the umbilcus to the pubis(mons). It is a more limited incision than a full tummy tuck. The muscle in this area can also be tightened. In your picture you appear to be a candidate for a full tummy tuck . Neither procedure will have any effect on your breasts.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Questions about mini TT

Hello, a typical mini tummy tuck does not remove a scar above the belly button, it does not tighten the skin above the abdomen, and it does not make breasts perkier.  I am glad you are speaking to your surgeon because they will be able to clarify exactly what they are planning and the anticipated result.

Tummy tuck/liposuction

Based on your picture you would benefit more from a full tummy tuck for a much better result,also liposuction of all areas for a nicer contour,consult with a board certified PS, best of luck!

Understanding tummy tuck variations

A mini tummy tuck usually improves the lower abdomen with minimal effect on the area above the belly button. there are variations such as the umbilical float and the T-closure tummy tuck for some patients who are "in between" a mini and a full tummy tuck. My guess is that you will not get the best results from a mini tummy tuck.

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy Tuck

Hi Loladoll2,

Thank You for your pictures and questions. Based on the pictures you submitted it looks as if you would benefit best from a full Tummy Tuck. I suggest consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area. Best of Luck!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy tuck vs. Full Tummy Tuck

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information and pictures as well. Everything is going to depend on the politic of the PS that you visited.

First of all, you want to be completely clear on what the differences are between these procedures. With a full abdominoplasty, there will be a scar that extends across the lower abdomen, typically extending from hip to hip. There is also a scar around the belly button. With the mini abdominoplasty, the lower abdominal scar is shorter, and there is no scar at the belly button. Liposuction is often used with either of the procedures. Less scarring always sounds like a good idea, but lesser procedures produce lesser results, and you may not get the outcome that you are looking for. The mini tuck does not tighten the upper abdomen at all. 

The most appropriate choice will depend on what your desires are and how loose your skin is, which is best determined by a full consultation with examination. If you have a significant muscle separation and bulging of the upper abdomen and you want to correct this, then a modified full Tummy Tuck might be an option. The scar will be longer and higher, and you will have a scar around your bully button that may not make it look much better than what you have now. I would offer this to you only after a few consultations where we would discuss the limitations in great detail. I usually don't offer a mini tummy tuck to a patient who requires a full Tummy Tuck because I know they will be dissatisfied with the limited correction.

I recommend to seek for a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an evaluation and to talk about your goals and also to talk about the quote. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

DrDerby

Thank you for your question and the photo. You look like a better candidate for a full TT and lipo. A mini TT is for a person with very limited excess skin in the abdomen area.A lipo a TT do not have any positive effect on the breasts ,you will need to think about a breaslift or augmentation if you would like them more round and perkier. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

What does a mini tummy tuck consist of?

Thank you for the question and picture. In my practice, I would only offer you the full tummy tuck operation; any lesser operation would not end up with an outcome that you or I would be pleased with. 

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an operation that produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For the vast majority of patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results.   When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.   You may find the attached link, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.