How long does recovery take from a Brazilian butt lift?

I am having this procedure to dance. I know 5-7days off the buttocks, and a month before I can show it off. Is it a month or will it be longer till I can dance with my new butt??

Thank you for your question. For a BBL you will be feeling much better after the first 2 weeks however there will still be some bruising and swelling. The final contour and resolution of swelling may take up to 3 months. You could probably start dancing at 3-4 weeks without bruising but you will continue to see improvement for weeks after that. Good luck.

Dancing after your BBL

It's likely you'll want to resume dancing as quickly as possible, but remember that following your plastic surgeon's post-op instructions is crucial for ensuring fat cell survival.

My post-op protocol for BBL patients is bed rest and lots of fluids for the first week and no sitting directly on the buttocks for three weeks. You'll also likely be wearing a compression garment for 24-hours a day for the first two weeks.

Most normal activities can be resumed four to six weeks after surgery, but be sure to ask your plastic surgeon when he feels you'll be safe to get out on the dance floor.

Best wishes!

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Thank you for your question. Recovery from liposuction and the Brazilian butt lift is usually one to two weeks. During this period, patients may notice bruising and tenderness in the areas where liposuction was performed. Most patients are able to return to work one week after the procedure. It is best to resume strenuous activities such as exercise four to six weeks following surgery. Be sure to speak with your board certified plastic surgeon. 

Hope this helps,

Dr. Newall 

German Newall, MD

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. Actually the pain and recovery period is different on each patient, besides that I have had patients who after 2 weeks return to work, but remember to sit on your boopy pillow for 8 weeks.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

BBL recovery

Thank you for your question.  Every surgeon will have his/her own preferences as to recovery for specific procedures. Postoperatively, no specific position is indicated and we do not have any sitting restrictions.  The pressure caused by sitting is not sufficient to affect viability of the fat cells and so the postsurgical position depends basically on comfort and any other operations that have been performed. Patients use girdles for 6 weeks and start therapeutic lymphatic drainage and ultrasound massages in the liposuctioned areas, which continue daily for a total of 10 sessions.  Patients can return to light activities almost immediately after surgery, normal activities 2 weeks after surgery, and vigorous exercise 4 weeks after surgery.  We usually experience a slow steady improvement for 3 months or so after surgery.

I would recommend that you consult with your surgeon seeing as they are the person who knows your background, medical history and your surgery best. Every patient recovers differently and at different speeds but I tell my patients to wait, at minimum, six weeks before easing back into any strenuous activities or their regular fitness routine. It is important to refrain from putting any pressure on your buttocks for the first 3 weeks to prevent damaging any of the fat cells. Best of luck.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Dancing is actually a really great form of cardio exercise. I recommend to my patients to avoid cardio aside from walking for 4 weeks.