What kind of recovery process can I expect after Revision Rhinoplasty? Initial Rhinoplasty/Septoplasty 9/22/15 (Photos)

My Dr offered to do what he called a "quick" revision to my still crooked nose at no cost. He said he will make an incision and do a controlled break and straighten the bone back out. Said surgery will last 45 minutes. I will not be required to wear the inner splints but will wear the outer splint for 1 week & may have to sleep in it up to a month. He says this recovery will not be as bad as the last surgery, but I'm wondering what to expect? Will there be a scar from the incision he mentions?

Quick Revision Rhinoplasty

Dear nola87, There is no such thing as a "quick" revision rhinoplasty. A revision surgery requires expertise and skill as does straightening a crooked nose or any nasal surgery for that matter. If your surgeon is just performing osteotomies then this could be a simple procedure with a limited downtime and recovery period certainly compared to a primary rhinoplasty. However, from your photographs it appears you will require more then osteotomies. This depends upon your goals and desired result. I would sit down again with your surgeon and have him/her provide further detail to the exact techniques that are going to be used to straighten your nose. It does sound like your surgeon is trying to work with you and wants to provide you the results you want. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

What recovery to expect

You will need to ask your surgeon directly about the process since there are many ways to do this. Usually the incisions are made inside the nose and there is much less bruising and swelling when compared to a full rhinoplasty. 
Best of luck

David Reinstadler, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty

If you are not requiring a lot of undermining,. you may not have as much swelling as a full rhinoplasty, but it is hard to predict.

Revision rhinoplasty for the crooked nose

A full revision rhinoplasty is required to straighten the crooked nose.  Osteotomies placed in the nasal bones are required to straighten them.  Placement of a cartilaginous spreader graft in the midportion of the nose may also be required to help straighten that portion as well.  For more information  and many examples of crooked nose repair in our practice, please see the video and the  link below