Labiaplasty done on Tuesday. I have dry blood around my stitches should I try and get it off or is it okay to leave it? (Photo)

Blood around sutures

Based on your photo, I am more concerned about the significant swelling of the right labia.  It appears that you may have a hematoma.  This can lead to skin necrosis if not treated.  Please contact your surgeon as soon as possible to have this addressed

When your right side is 10X more swollen than the other side you might want to call your surgeon

You've got a problem. The extreme swelling on your right side is placing you at risk for a suture line scar blowout from too much pressure. Wedge labiaplasty scars are weak and this is exactly the kind of problem that causes them to fall apart so frequently. Call your surgeon right away and don't mess with the scars on your own.

See your surgeon

The dried blood may not be a problem but you are quite swollen. See your surgeon to have this issue followed through your healing period to optimize your result.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty done on Tuesday. I have dry blood around my stitches should I try and get it off or is it okay to leave it?

Thank you for sharing. This early in the healing process, it is best not to scrub or irritate the incisions or any scabs that are developing. Your surgeon should have provided you with wound care instructions and you should adhere to any specific instructions given. If the area is bothersome, we typically instruct patients to rinse the area with warm water or do warm water soaks. In your particular situation, if you have not seen your surgeon yet, I would recommend setting up an appointment to schedule an evaluation so that they can closely monitor your progression.

What should I do about the dried blood on my sutures after labiaplasty?

Dear Kad1177,

Thank you for sharing your question and photo.  It is best not to rub or do anything to irritate the area.  You can use a perineal squirt bottle (at CVS or Walgreens) filled with lukewarm water every time you urinate to clean and reduce the burning of the urine on the suture lines, as well as in the shower to help clean.  The dried blood will loosen up and be washed away over time.

I recommend to my patients to use ibuprofen and arnica montana for bruising and swelling, Dermaplast anti-pain and anti-septic spray for comfort, and cool packs on and off over the next few days.  Sitz baths twice a day are also soothing to the area.

Congratulations on your labiaplasty and speedy recovery!

Sincerely,

Troy R. Hailparn, MD, FACOG

Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Hematoma after labiaplasty

You have developed a hematoma at the site of your right labial repair. The "scab" is "nature's dressing." Keep it in place- hands off; don't remove it. For the swelling, I would advise using ibuprofen 600 mg (3 OTC tablets) 3-4 X/day for the next 3-4 days. AND-- contact your surgeon (you know, the one you PAID...). Surgical fees INCLUDE post-op care & follow-up.

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Labiaplasty done on Tuesday. I have dried blood around my stitches. Should I try and get it off or is it okay to leave it?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph.  Due to the degree of swelling in your tissues I would leave your scabs alone and follow your surgeon's wound care instructions.  The wedge incision can be tenuous and you would not want to stress it this early in recovery to result in a wound healing issues.  Hope this helps.