Can grade 2 CC cause pain?

After an in-person examination, I have been diagnosed with grade 2 CC on one side. The breast is slightly higher and just a little more firm than my non-cc breast. What concerns me is I have pain, especially after physical work that involves my arms/chest muscles (the CC is on my dominant side). It feels like a tightening or overworked muscle. There is also sometimes pain with touch. The breast also looks worse (smaller/higher) after physical activity. Does grade 2 ever cause pain?

Capsular contracture and pain

Thank you for your question. Usually Gr3 causes pain, But Gr2 can cause discomfort with activity. Please talk to your PS for evaluation.

Can grade 2 breast implant capsular contracture cause pain?

Thank you for your question.Usually a painful capsular contracture is grade 3 or more likely grade 4.  I suggest that you see your plastic surgeon again to discuss in detail that you're having pain and visible change in the implant. If you are developing a Baker 3 or 4 capsular contracture you may need surgical revision.

Yes, a capsular contracture can cause discomfort, especially with activities. I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Can grade 2 CC cause pain?

Hi Ruby0587,

Thank you for your question, and I am sorry you are having this pain.  We grade capsular contracture on a 4 point scale, and by definition pain in the breast from a capsule is a Grade 4 contracture.  However, this pain is often constant.  It is difficult to say, but you may have a Grade 2 contracture and a separate issue of muscle spasms ("Charley horse") after excercise. causing both pain and constriction on this implant.  Please continue to see you surgeon to track your symptoms.  Good luck

Hunter Moyer, MD