What is the downtime 4 Thermi? I have to travel for treatment.

There are only 2 Thermi providers in my state and I am looking for a very experienced provider for Thermi this summer face, neck and arms. I will likely fly to another state for treatment. How do I plan for my out of state procedure/recovery? How many days before I can fly home? Do any doctors help accommodate traveling patients? Thanks!

ThermiTight for lifting and tightening and fat reduction of the face, neck and arms

I might have found post operative results to be different than other physicians, but in some patients swelling after ThermiTight when done to dissolve fat especially, when compared to performing skin tightening, can be present for even a week and bruising can be more than expected. I do not recommend patients to travel by air, for at least several days after the procedure a      b s the altitude can exacerbate swelling.

If you travel and then have swelling, or concerns, it can be disconcerting not to be readily able to see one's doctor. This can compromise the post operative care, and although ThermiTight has a high safety profile, every procedure has risks, some which might have to be addressed by a local physician who didn't do the procedure. It also may not be feasible to treat many areas at the same time and one may have to travel to a physician multiple times. Please keep all of this in mind.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice. The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs

Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Downtime for ThermiTight

There is typically swelling for the first 24 hours and this gradually resolves over several days. You should be able to fly home the next day if there are no issues. I would take several days off of work to allow the swelling to come down. Our office routinely accommodates patients from out of state. Check with the office that you are scheduling an appointment to see if they are able to assist with this. Best of luck. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thermi

The downtime from a ThermiTight procedure is minimal - you may have some mild bruising and swelling that may last a few days.  I keep my patients in a removable neck support for the first 24 hours then have them wear the support only at night time for 2 weeks. You should be able to safely travel in 1-2 days after the procedure.
Brian Buinewicz MD

Downtime for Thermi

Patients may experience slight swelling, bruising, or redness but this usually subsides within 24 hours. It would be best to give yourself 1 or 2 days after the treatment to fly back home. We accommodate out-of-town patients for all of our procedures.

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS

Downtime for ThermiTight

Hi Veronica. The ThermiTight procedure is a minimal downtime procedure. The most significant thing afterwards is that you will have some swelling in the treated area from the treatment and from the numbing fluid that is injected. We have our patients wear a compression garment for the first 24 hours to help with the swelling. To be on the safe side I would say that you'd be able to fly home 1-2 days after your treatment. We have a lot of out of town patients and my staff often helps them arrange for accomodations, etc. Hope this helps answer your question!

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

ThermiTight recovery

Thank you for your question. Patients can return to normal activity after 24 hours. You may experience slight swelling and redness but that will go down on its own.  In terms of your accommodations for traveling, it’s best you contact your doctor’s office. Most practices offer recovery options for out-of-state patients. Please speak with your doctor’s office.

Bruce E. Katz, MD