What is the difference between regular Botox, and Dysport?

Just wondering the chemical difference, since there is a price difference. I had Botox before and I loved the results.

Difference between Botox & Dysport

Botox and Dysport are both neuromodulators. They act to relax the muscle and help smooth out fine lines and wrinkles. They are made by different manufacturers. Botox and Dysport are similar but vary based on type of purified protein attached. They have different molecular weight, are dosed differently and both products produce great results.

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Difference between Botox & Dysport

Botox and Dysport are both neuromodulators, made by different companies; they have differing chemical compositions and protein attachments but produce similar results. Since the two products are not identical, the dosing (number of units) required will be different for Botox compared to Dysport. Deciding which neuromodulator to use is really a matter of physician and patient preference. 

Toral Patel, MD, MS
Chicago Dermatologist

No real difference in effectiveness or cost

To answer your question there is no real difference between Botox and disport. Sometimes they can be priced differentials and it is important to make sure that you call your cosmetic surgeon to find out if there are any as many times there may be specials.

Botox vs Dysport

Both Botox and Dysport are in the same family of neuromodulators and have a similar effect; the chemical difference mainly is related to the complex protein attachments.  The 2 product are not identical and can not be substituted exactly.  The main difference is that generally 2.5-3x as many Dysport units are needed to achieve a similar effect as Botox.  There may be slightly more diffusion with Dysport, although this is also volume dependent.  Injectors who are experienced with both with deliver similar results with both products.  In general, it is usually not the product but the injector technique and experience that is most important.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

How Dysport Differs From BOTOX

Both BOTOX and Dysport effectively reverse signs of aging, but there are some relatively minor differences that might make 1 product a better choice for you. Both are neuromodulators and work by temporarily relaxing the muscles that create wrinkles. They differ chemically, which leads to 2 notable distinctions. First, patients who get Dysport usually see results sooner than with BOTOX. Additionally, Dysport is injected deeper than BOTOX and disperses across a wider treatment area. In some areas of the face, this can be an advantage, but it is also a disadvantage in other areas. If you are happy with the results of previous BOTOX injections, I would recommend continuing to use that product.

Kevin M. Johnson, MD, FACS
Spokane General Surgeon

Same Neurotoxin, Different Proteins

Thank you for your question. Both BOTOX and Dysport contain botulinum toxin A as the chemical that works to achieve the same end result. The difference lies in the molecular configurations of the proteins attached to the molecules. While not negligible, the differences have only a moderate effect on the dosage your board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon will administer. That would account for the price difference. The active ingredient that actually affects your wrinkles is the botulinum toxin A, and this is why many doctors use Dysport and BOTOX — both are effective. I hope this answer is helpful to you.

Susan M. Stuart, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

Hi, I have used Botox for over 30 years and also use Xeomin and Dysport.  Only difference is the brand and size of molecule.  All are botulism medical grade neurotoxins.  

Hope this helps.

Botox versus dysport

Their is a slight difference in the molecular configurations and the amount of units injected. I find both products to be similar with dysport working sooner in some patients but I find that Botox typically lasts longer at least in my experience. Some patients have different results and some providers also have different experiences. 

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox vs Dysport

Thank you for your question. Botox and Dysport are very similar and there is a slight protein difference between the two neuromodulator molecules. I tend to think of them as being like Coke and Pepsi. It is best to see an experienced injector, and stick with a product you are happy with for the best results. Best of luck.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

The difference between Botox and Dysport

Both Botox and Dysport are endotoxin products made by competing manufacturers.

They are dosed a bit differently, so the units administered to you as a patient may look different( depending on whether its Botox or Dysport) but your PS would administer the correct number of units for your desired result based on the product. That is the important thing to remember- using an experienced injector is the key. You would not want to go to someone who would mistake dosing levels.

Any cost difference to you is  based on market forces and specials your PS and the particular company may be offering. Some practices prefer one product over the other, I like to offer both as certain patients respond more favorably to one over the other.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon