Breastfeeding and would like facial fillers/botox, is it safe?

What is the medical opinion on getting botox and/or filler while breastfeeding? Should I wait until no longer bfing? Also, what is the stance on laser treatments while breastfeeding? I have an 11 month old and am looking tired/wrinkled/crepey under eyes. I'd love to freshen up but I plan to keep breastfeeding for the next year. Are any of these procedures okay or is it best to wait?

Breastfeeding and Fillers/Botox

I tell people to wait to do any treatments when pregnant or breast feeding but it shouldn't affect this.  There are no studies to support this tho.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Breastfeeding and injections

There is no data available (for obvious reasons) on the use of injectable treatments while breastfeeding.  It is best to wait until you are done breastfeeding before you start any treatments.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

What is safe while breast feeding?

Given the nature of medical device studies, there is very little data on their use with pregnant or breast-feeding.   In my opinion, lasers and hyaluronic acid fillers are not a problem while breast feeding since there is no systemic absorption of either by the body.  Botox is slightly more controversial; however, botox molecules are completely bound to their muscles within about 24 hours.  So often, patients can build up a store and pump and dump for a few days to have the treatment performed.  However, it is important to have a consultation with a board-certified physician to discuss risk / benefits of any treatment related to you personally.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers/Botox and Pregnancy/Breastfeeding

Thanks for your question!  Congrats on your little one!  I do not recommend any fillers or Botox injections while pregnant or breastfeeding.  There are no studies on either, but it is always best to err on the side of caution with pregnancy.  As far as lasers go, these treatments should be fine.  Consult with your surgeon for his/her recommendations.  Best of luck!

Neurotoxin while breastfeeding

While there have not been any research studies done regarding the effects of dermal fillers and/or neurotoxin on pregnant or breastfeeding women, it is best to err on the side of caution and wait until you have finished breastfeeding before pursuing any injectables.  Regarding lasers, make sure to ask an experienced provider to see which ones can and cannot be used.

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and fillers while breastfeeding

I usually instruct patients to wait until they have finished breast feeding before injecting them with Botox or fillers. No studies have been performed on the safety of Botox and filler during pregnancy or with breast feeding so we really don't have a definite answer to your question. The instructions I give to my patients are based on an abundance of caution. I do not see any harm with doing a light superficial laser while breastfeeding other than if you were to have a complication from the laser such as an infection or hyperpigmentation, then we may not be able to use the medications we would like to treat the complication while you are breast feeding.

There have no been any studies performed as far as effects on Botox and fillers in pregnant and breastfeeding women. Therefore most places will tell you it is contraindicated until you are finished breastfeeding. I do not see any harm in have any type of laser treatments performed though. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Botox while breast feeding

Thank you for your question elsiann1. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression such as the crow's feet seen around the eyes when we smile. The safety and efficacy of Botox and fillers have not been studied in women who are pregnant or breast feeding. So unfortunately we do not know the answer to your question. In these cases I err on the side of caution and recommend that my patients wait until they are done breast feeding before receiving Botox or filler treatments. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations.  Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician

Hello Elsiann1,The recommendation for anyone who is pregnant or breastfeeding is to not receive these treatments.  There have not been studies done but it is for theoretical reasons that Botox may get into the breast milk and cause problems.  The same is true for fillers.  In actuality, in my opinion there would not be a risk of receiving fillers since even if that did make it into the breast milk it would not have any issues.  HA is a benign molecule found naturally in the body.  Botox, on the other hand is different.  My wife is still breast feeding and I don't inject Botox for her.  The main reason is that if Botox were to get into the breast milk (which would be extremely unlikely), it could possibly cause problems for a baby.  In fact, the reason they tell people to not give honey to kids under 1 year old is because some unpasteurized honey had the same thing as Botox that was found naturally in it and caused problems for the babies.I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Breastfeeding and Filler and Botox

Typically I tell patients that they can have peels or lasers while they are breastfeeding.  However, I do not allow patients to have cosmetic injections while they are breastfeeding. Best, Dr. Green