African American rhinoplasty or ethnic rhinoplasty? (Photo)

Hi I'm 41 yo female Hispanic looking to get a rhinoplasty in few months!! I never liked my nose And always feel uncomfortable with it I finally decided to get a rhinoplasty!!but I need help!!!what's is the difference between African American rhinoplasty and ethnic rhinoplasty and which one do you recommend for me! And if possible what is the cost? Thanks!!

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. The "African American rhinoplasty" and "ethnic rhinoplasty" are general terms used to define the importance of maintaining certain characteristics. In general, the nose that is both symmetrical and proportionate to your face is the most attractive. Nevertheless, with the natural individual differences among all of us, and the characteristics that may define some races, there are exceptions to this rule. I suggest that you move forward to consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Open rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for the questions.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, After having analyzed all the info. and photos provided to us, i recommend you perform an Open Full Rhinoplasty, includding narrowing of the nasal base and nostrils, with nasal bones treatment (controled fracture) and alar + triangular nasal cartilages re-shaping.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

What is Ethnic Rhinoplasty

Really, these terms can mean different things to patients and even surgeons. All Rhinoplasty procedures take into account the ethnicity of the patient. However, frequently the term Ethnic Rhinoplasty has come to encompass 'non-Caucasian' noses which would of course include African-Americans. Even that definition isn't perfect since among Caucasians there different ethnicities  with widely different nasal characteristics. I wouldn't worry about these terms. What is important is to find a surgeon who has experience with nasal surgery, particularly with your particular ethnic background, express your concerns to him and see what recommendations he would make. Get educated about the procedure before making a final commitment to surgery. There are many talented nasal surgeons out there and with a little homework you can reasonably expect a nice improvement in your appearance. Best of luck   Dr Harrell

Ethnic rhinoplasty

Ethnic rhinoplasty simply means that the procedure is done while respecting the natural ethnicity of the individual. If your heritage is African or Spanish or Indian or otherwise, the rhinoplasty would be done to optimize your appearance while preserving your family traits. I use computer imaging to visualize and develop a plan that is ideal for the individual and matches your desired outcome. African American rhinoplasty is essentially an ethnic rhinoplasty for an African American. 

Best Regards. 

Sean R. Weiss, MD, FACS
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty surgery may be considered for improving the appearance of a broad, flat nasal appearance.

In general, Ethnic Rhinoplasty and African American rhinoplasty are similar in that they both involve a thick skin envelope, and sometimes weak underlying nasal cartilage. Consider consulting with several reputable rhinoplasty specialists so you could see what to expect if you decide to pursue surgery. Hope this helps.

Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon