10 days post op breast lift and saline implants, still have leakage. Any suggestions?

My left breast has a little yellow drainage and my nipple had a little light green discharge.My right still has blood spot on the pads w a lil yellow discharge.Still painful at incision.I got the surgery done out of town and I'm unable to get in touch with my Dr.He hasn't returned my calls.

See your Surgeon

I have to agree with my colleague below.   Going out of the country to save a dime is not smart.  You need to see your surgeon as soon as possible.  If he will not return your calls, you need to show up in his office.  You may have an infection which can be very dangerous.

Yellow and green drainage after breast lift plus implants out of town--Dr. won't answer calls.

I'm sorry your choice of surgeon has led you to this sorry state of affairs--questions that are perfectly reasonable, and yet the surgeon you paid for consultation, surgery, AND follow-up is nowhere to be found, so you're here asking for advice from strangers who have not received a nickel for our time, experience, or training!

But with that gentle condemnation of surgical tourism, I'll try to answer your question without a photo, physical examination, or anything other than the satisfaction of knowing that I don't treat MY patients that way!

Yellow, clear drainage from suture lines is common until suture lines are sealed, and sometimes this takes longer than a few days. This sounds like serum, is normal (at least until it turns creamy (pus) or other color (pus with different bacteria)), and should not be a problem unless the exit sites for serum become entrance sites for bacteria. Careful cleansing with gentle soap and water washes--not scrubbing or soaking which can cause breakdown--and Bacitracin ointment where the serum leaks are seen are all that are needed. Antibiotics are also not a bad idea, as drainage lasting 10 days after surgery is a bit longer than "usual."

The greenish nipple discharge is even easier--this is fibrocystic fluid seen in about half of women (surgery or not)--and does not represent any problem. This fluid is commonly described as looking like "dirty dishwater" and is not a sign of any infection or concern at all.

You really need to connect with your surgeon for proper follow-up. Were you operated and simply discharged? If you had surgery here in the US this could be construed as abandonment. I hope you got a "good deal." Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

I have to say that you are still early on healing process, it is too soon to determine how your results are going to be, per now, they look very nice and beautiful, you can have one bigger than the other, it is normal and that can happen for the first 3 months until your implants have settle in. Open wounds and scars are also very common in this procedure, and also if it happens, you have to get with your plastic surgeon for cleaned and if it's worse , put stitches on it.I recommend you to wait and keep using your post surgical bra, that will help you with the shape and support… 

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

See your surgoen

Best to see a surgeon as soon as possible. If you recently had your surgery and are leaking continuously, you are a risk of developing an infection. You need to be seen in person by your doctor.

Infection

Thank you for your question.  With yellow and green discharge, there is a chance of infection, something that requires immediate attention.  Please see a board certified physician who can assist you with the wound care if you are unable to get in touch with your operating surgeon.

Wound problems

So sorry to hear about your troubles, but you do need to be seen. If you cannot get in touch and be seen by your doctor, see your family doctor, find another surgeon, or go to an urgent care clinic. You may just need some wound care, but no one over the Internet can specifically state what you need without an examination.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

If you have had your surgery out of the country then you are experiencing what many have experienced; i.e., no available followup. So you must turn to someone who is in town. That may be hard to do and expensive. Be that as it may go to the plastic surgery web site to find a local doctor.  In the mean time I would keep it clean and apply Bacitracin until a followup appointment can be arranged.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon