Can Radiesse be safely used in smile lines?

Lots of Safety Data for Radiesse

Radiesse is FDA approved for the nasolabial folds (between your nose and mouth) and that means that it was found to be safe and effective in that area.  It has been safely used for many years in that area.  It would feel very comfortable about using it in that area, if that is what you are calling the "smile lines".  Sometimes, people call the small radial cheek lines of the face "smile lines".  If that is what you are talking about, I would recommend a smoother filler like Belotero, which integrates into the more superficial layers of the skin better, and is made by the same company as Radiesse, called Merz.

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse and smile lines

Radiesse is one of the  many fillers that we use to soften the smile lines. It is a great tool for deeper folds more so than fine creases, and also works great in cheeks, chins,temples, and hands (off label). Is is very safe for use when injected by an experienced physician.

Warm regards,

Dr. Pedy Ganchi                                                                                                                                                          Village Plastic Surgery

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Hi, I've performed many dermal filler treatments over the past 30 years.  yes, Radiesse can be used in the smile lines (nasolabial folds) but I prefer using Restylane Lyft which has less lumpiness and skin irritation immediately following injection.

Hope this helps.

Radiesse

Radiesse is a great option to use to help fill the Nasolabial folds and to sculpt different areas of the face.  It typically lasts one year to a year and a half.  I would make an appointment with a doctor that is experienced with injecting Radiesse to see if it is an option for you.

Can Radiesse be safely used for smile lines?

Radiesse is comprised of Calcium Hydroxylapatite (CaHA) microspheres which can provide immediate volume correction, and continues to work by stimulating the body to produce its own natural collagen. Overtime the body metabolizes the CaHA  and therefore it is still considered as a temporary filler even though it is "irreversible." If you are having fillers for the first time consider "reversible fillers" such as Juvederm or Restylane  which are comprised of Hyaluronic acid. I believe replacing the mid face volume should be done prior to nasolabial correction to avoid unnatural appearance. 

Best of luck

Dr. Shanthala

Radiesse Can Be Used In Smile Lines; But Today Experienced Injectors Contour The Face & Don't Simply Chase After Lines

The short answer to your question is that Radiesse, a natural, calcium-based volumizing filler, can most certainly be used, and has been, to fill smile lines. In fact, I personally began using it for this purpose well over fifteen years ago, at a time when it was called Radiance. It is an excellent injectable volumizer whose main drawback is that there is no specific enzyme or substance available to dissolve it should there be some complication following injection or if the result is not entirely satisfactory. Having said that, I should emphasize that we have come a long way since the early introduction of Radiesse, and nowadays, experienced injectors (not cut-rate medspas and novice injectors of all stripes) rarely jump to treating the smile lines (aka laugh lines, nasolabial folds) without first evaluating the contours of entire face and more often than not addressing the loss of volume in the cheeks and mid-face regions, which are really responsible for the formation of the smile lines in the first place. In fact, sometimes directly treating the smile lines can lead to a chipmunk like look by pushing the cheeks up unnaturally, or if too aggressively injected to the point of flattening the smile lines entirely may give rise to the expressionless monkey face, known as the "simian facies."  Without knowing more about your particular case or having the benefit of photos, I can only speak generally that very often merely by reflating the volume in the cheeks and mid-cheek regions we can secondarily achieve significant improvement in the smile lines without even injecting them directly at all. You would do well to make sure you consult with and are treated by a board certified aesthetic physician with experience and expertise in nonsurgical facial contouring with fillers. Make certain to ask to see his/her before and after photos before agreeing to proceed. Best of luck. 

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Radiesse and smile lines

Radiesse is a great filler, and it can be used in smile lines.  This is not a dissolvable filler, meaning it cannot be dissolved in the injection site after placement.  However, in the right hands, it can provide long-lasting, very good results.  Seek out a dermatologist, facial plastic surgeon, general plastic surgeon, or oculoplastic surgeon who does a high volume of dermal fillers and likes using Radiesse for an evaluation.  Best of luck.

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse is best for Mid-Face Lifting

Radiesse is a great, calcium based product, that lifts and restores volume to the mid-face, jawline, forehead and back of hands but would not be the first choice to fill smile lines.

Juvederm or a similar hyaluronic acid product will fill and smooth lines around the mouth and appear natural. 

Radiesse and smile line

I use Radiesse in smile lines and have done so for many years. It works well but is not so easy as some other fillers so be sure you are seeing a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who is experienced with its use

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Radiesse in smile lines

I prefer to use Belotero or Restylane in these areas because they are finer. We now have a variety of fillers in our armamentarium which can be deployed on an personalized basis.