What is the main problem with my nose? (photo)

I have really weird facial features but I'm most concerned with my nose. It doesn't sit well on my face and I feel like there is not enough skin covering my nostrils so they look huge. Any opinions? What would improve the way that my nose looks?

What can be done to improve my nose

It would have been easier to give you a more meaningful advise had you sent more detailed photos. Based on your photo, the nostrils may appear wide because of the hanging columella (area between the nostrils) and widened alar base. These, as well as other nasal imperfections can be corrected by a well performed rhinoplasty surgery. You should get a consultation with a rhinoplasty specialist to discuss all your concerns. 

Good luck. 

Rhinoplasty Can Reduce Nostrils

Thank you for your question. If you believe that your nostrils look too large, rhinoplasty can reduce their size and width. It's also fair to say that your surgeon may well help you decide on a different approach, depending on your overall goal. The best way to arrive at that goal is to have a candid conversation with a qualified facial plastic surgeon. I recommend scheduling a consultation in order to get a more specific idea of what you can do for your nose. Best of luck.

Jerold Olson, MD
Tucson Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Hello! Yes, a rhinoplasty can improve your proportions.It is difficult to get any more specific without more photos from different angles. I would recommend a consultation with an experienced facial plastic surgeon who performs at least 50 rhinoplasties a year- they can morph your photo to show expected results. good luck!

Catherine Winslow, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question and photograph.

I would recommend submitting a profile view of your nose along with scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty to have a nasal examination performed and a review of your medical history to see if you are a good candidate for rhinoplasty. From the photograph you have posted, I believe you may benefit from a hump reduction, tip rhinoplasty and an alarplasty which is a technique that is commonly used for nostril reduction. This procedure consists of making an incision on the inside or outside of the nostrils then removing a specific amount of tissue. A dorsal hump can be removed by cutting out the extra cartilage along with filing of the bone to smooth out the bump. A tip rhinoplasty includes trimming the lower lateral cartilages and placing precision sutures to refine the tip and make it look more pleasing. Best of luck in your endeavors.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Male rhinoplasty for the large nose?

You can have a more masculine and attractive nose if you see a very experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does natural noses and not the overdone look! Look at his before-after photos and reviews. Choose the one who does noses you like that are similar to yours.

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

What is the main problem with my nose?

The appearance of your nose can be improved with an artistically performed rhinoplasty. What would be the best option and exact procedure would depend on an examination and discussion about desired outcome. No one ever "needs" a rhinoplasty. It is an elective procedure and only you can determine if your nasal features concern you enough to do something about improving the cosmetic appearance of your nose and whether it would be worthwhile.  

Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else.

I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. Additional information about the procedure will help you decide if it is a procedure that you want to pursue.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

Rhinoplasty can address droopy tip, bulbous tip, dorsal hump, hanging columella, and wide nostrils.