What's the best option: face fat injections or Restylane to add volume to cheeks and for under the eyes?

Due to weightloss I've lost weight in my face and want to make my face fuller especially in the cheeks. I also have round dark circles around my eyes

Dermal Fillers can refresh and restore lost volume

Hi Jessmw5008,

Thanks for your question. In my opinion, the ideal procedure to correct volume loss is non-surgical dermal filler injections when compared to fat transfers.

There are plenty of surgeons that'll swear by fat transfers for cheeks. At my practice, however, we prefer to use fillers for situations like this, specifically Juvederm Voluma. It can last the longest out of any filler (up to two years), and its effects are completely reversible. The degree of control non-surgical procedures give my patients over their results is why I find them to be more effective and efficient for correcting cases of volume loss.

I hope this helps! Good luck in your search for information!

Stay beautiful,

Dr. Mabrie

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial Volume

I love Voluma for facial volume to the cheeks and Restylane or Belotero for the delicate under eye area.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist who is an expert in cosmetic injections for the best results.  Best, Dr. Green

Fat vs fillers

Many patients go with fillers because it is easier for them and does not involve a surgical procedure to harvest fat. But, I still perform a fair amount of fat injection which will be permanent often done in conjunction with facelifting.

Fat injection

For a more permanent solution, consider full face fat graft injections. I utilize the Viafill technique which concentrates and smooths out the grafted fat to provide the smoothest and longest lasting results. Then consider Sculptra afterwards. 

T.G. Khan, DO, FACS
Fort Lee Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fat or restylane for volume loss

Volume loss in the face occurs naturally due to aging. As we age, weight loss seems to effect the volume in our face more quickly because there are smaller fat pads and less bony structure underneath.  Volume loss can be corrected using fat, hyaluronic acid fillers, poly-l-lactic acid, calcium hydroxylapatite, or more permanent implants.  For volume loss under the eyes, fat transfer or hyaluronic acid fillers are the best options.  The cheeks can be filled by any number of agents.  In general, fat is the most long-lasting filler available; but fat requires multiple procedures for optimal effects and tends to have more downtime and cost.  Restylane and other hyaluronic acid fillers are shorter lived but cost less on the front end.   The more significant the loss, the more cost effective fat transfer becomes.  It is best to be evaluated by an expert in facial aesthetics.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon