Should I get a nipple & areola reduction prior to a breast augmentation? (photos)

I plan on getting a BA in a few years when my children are older due to the restrictions on lifting heavy weight post-op. I would also like an areola reduction to fix the circumference of the areolas and a nipple reduction to fix their projection. Breastfeeding has left me with deflated breasts and my, once too large, areolas are now sunken in and saggy. Is it advisable to go ahead and get the areola and nipple reduction a few years prior to a BA? Thank you

Areola Reduction

I would wait until during time of breast augmentation to discuss this with your plastic surgeon.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Should I get a nipple & areola reduction prior to a breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question. I believe it is best to wait and do in conjunction with the breast augmentation. When you are ready for a consultation I advise going to American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to find a list of skilled board-certified plastic surgeons. 

Alfred Sofer, MD, FACS
Fairfield Plastic Surgeon

Combined areolar reduction and breast augmentation

Dear srb18,
The areolar reduction should be done either simultaneous to or after your breast augmentation.  The nipples may spread slightly after the augmentation and may not need to be reduced as well.  Good luck!

Nipple areola reduction prior to BA

I would not advise getting the nipple areola reduced before a breast augmentation as the areola may change when doing the augmentation and the augmentation can be done thru the incision for the reduction of the areola. You can also have your breast augmentation earlier than you may think, as most women have the surgery with the same young children. You use your arms and legs to lift the children, unless very heavy you do not use your chest muscle. I would recommend when you are ready to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Most plastic surgeons would advise waiting until after breast augmentation prior to revising your nipple areola or circumference. There is a good chance that if you were to have your areola surgery first, following breast augmentation you have asymmetry. It could also increase the risk of complications with your breast augmentation. Many women undergo breast augmentation 3 to 6 months following childbirth in the absence of breast feeding. There are always concerns with childcare following surgery. It is true that we try to avoid strenuous activity with the chest muscles following breast augmentation especially if implants are behind the muscle. I advise my patients to keep their elbows close to their frame if they are lifting a child during the first several weeks following surgery to avoid tension on the pectoralis major muscle.

Wait and do breast augmentation

no do not reduce aureolas before breast augmentation. See a board certified ASAPS plastic surgeon, get 3D vectra imaging and try on implants. Good luck...

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and nipple areola reduction

Your areola at least in the views you posted do not look too large. The augmentation and areola reduction can be done at the same time. The nipple reduction can be done at the same time as well.

Nipple reduction with breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  I frequently perform nipple reduction and areola reduction at the same time as breast augmentation.  I recommend waiting and having it all done at the same time.   Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Your nipples and areolae

Leave them alone -- they are normal. Do the augmentation and then see how they all blend together. Speak to an experienced plastic surgeon to discuss this. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD