When should an abdominal binder be worn?

How Long Should an Abdominal Binder Be Worn After Tummy Tuck?

Thank you for posting your interesting question. Usually, after a tummy tuck, I recommend that my patients wear  an abdominal binder for 4 weeks to provide abdominal support and to decease the swelling. Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift 

Compression Garment

In my practice I provide a post surgical binder which I advise patients to wear for 6 weeks. I recommend that you ask your surgeon what they prefer and follow their directions.

All the best

Abdominal binder

Thank you for your question. I ask my patients to wear an abdominal binder night and day for 6 weeks after an abdominoplasty. This is to reduce swelling, reduce the risk of seroma formation and to improve the shape of the abdomen. The binder can be removed whilst washing, It should be comfortably snug fitting, but not so tight that it is causing excessive discomfort. However, not all surgeons use binders.

Anthony Barabas, MBBS
London Plastic Surgeon

After the Tummy Tuck operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will have stiches and bandages which will be removed after the 10th day. You can start to do your daily activities 3 days after the operation but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be

When should an abdominal binder be worn

Each surgeon is different and has their own routine. I base it on the repair, what the patient looked like before the surgery, how they are doing postoperatively. Usually it is between 4-6 weeks. After that I like some form of compression when starting to do exercises.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal binder

Not all surgeons use an abdominal binder.  I like patients to wear an abdominal binder for 3-6 weeks.