Am I ready for my mommy makeover?

After my child I was 232, I'm currently 195 and according to my PCP in great health. My body is an hour shape class type in other words I'm big in all the right places. My aunt is a doctor and she is not happy with what I'm doing she says that I'm still obese and should lose more. She picked the surgeon for me and I'm doing the surgery in 2 weeks, flying to Miami because I'm staying with her after the surgery....doctor has only seen me in pictures. I really want my waist back!

Mommy Makeover Candidate & Ideal Weight

It's difficult to suggest without a in-person one-on-one consultation. The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  

#Combined operations are often performed with our #Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with a #MommyMakeover. If you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your physician and board-certified plastic surgeon. Also, combining these #procedures may decrease anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even after 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity

Your procedures should be performed by a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience specializing in cosmetic #surgery. You will then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you desire, and, without the need for a revision surgery. It is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Ready for Mommy Makeover?

As long as you now at a stable and "happy" weight you are a good candidate to have surgery and reverse the changes that pregnancy and breast feeding have done to your body.  This type of surgery is about contouring the body.  With liposuction and a tummy-tuck you will get your waist line back.  Make sure you ask your surgeon how long he/she wants you to stay in Miami.

Good candidate for mommy makeover

Provided you are otherwise healthy you could greatly benefit from a mommy makeover.  Once your breasts are reduced, you will find working out much easier and hopefully will be able to reach your goal weight.  Good luck.

Am I ready for my mommy makeover

The key to long standing success is to be at a stable weight. Make sure your lifestyle is such that you don't gain the weight back after if you do have surgery or you will likely be unhappy. If you can get your weight as low as possible the risks of healing from any surgery will go down significantly. Good luck!

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Ready for a mommy makeover?

The closer you are to your goal weight, the better your result. You didn't mention height, so we don't know your BMI.  I perform mommy makeover surgery very frequently. but there are cases where staging this surgery (tummy tuck in one procedure, breast surgery in another) will mean the best results and the safest outcome for a patient.   

It is wonderful you have a physician as a family member who can help you with your recovery and also help you with your search, but you also need to do your own checking in your surgeon.  Is he/ she board certified ASPS and ASAPS member? Clear record with the state medical board)s) where he/ she has practiced?  Did he graduate from a top medical school and train at a prestigious medical university? How many years of formal surgical training did he receive?  Can he demonstrate excellent results with photographs of his work? Watch out for distorted belly buttons and / or visible scars around the belly button.

You could be ready for a mommy makeover surgery. But you need to be certain you have selected the best surgeon for you. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Am I ready for a mommy makeover?

It sounds like you've gone through the correct steps to be sure that you are ready for a mommy makeover. Getting medical clearance from your PCP as well as choosing a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in these procedures is extremely important and should make you feel confident. 

Am I ready for my mommy makeover?

If you are healthy and your surgeon is an expert at all of these procedures and can keep the total operative time to 4 hrs or so, this may be reasonable.

Mommy make over without seeing the surgeon first

• in an ideal world, you would lose the weight,
  • we don't like in an ideal world,
  • but do you need a tummy tuck or just liposuction?
  • only an examination can tell,
  • you are obese, and at higher risk of complications,
  • you are travelling out of town for surgery,
  • have the surgeon do the most important operation first, limit surgery to 6 hours maximum and consider giving you blood thinners to reduce the risk of blood clots.
  • Be sure your surgeon is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Mommy makeover

Thank you for the pictures.

You are definitely ready.

An extended tummy tuck with liposuction to the waist, upper and lower back with fat grafting to the buttocks.

A breast reduction/lift will also be necessary, I don't believe that implants are needed how ever this will be determine on consultation.  This will have to be in a second stage surgery, to prevent any complications.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Am I ready for a mommy makeover?

If you are in good health, and from your photos, I believe you would be a good candidate for breast lift/reduction along with a tummy tuck and liposuction.  The question you should ask is if is safe to combine these surgeries in your case.  If the surgeon you are seeing in Miami feels it would be best to separate the procedures, I would follow their advice.  Also, check with your aunt, the doctor, if she has concerns about your overall health and weight, follow her advice.  There is no harm in postponing a surgery to get in better shape.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon