When can I wear an underwire bra? (Photos)

I'm 7 weeks post op and my left implant is riding high still. Both breasts are softer than before. Is it ok to wear an underwire bra now even though the one implant is high still? Also, when can I stop wearing a sport bra at night?

Underwire bra

Thank you for your question, The still need time for healing 3 to 6 months for the implants to settle. It ıs better to ask your surgeon about the underwıre bar for the rıght recommendation.

Underwire bra

Typically, 6 weeks after your surgery you are cleared to wear any and all supportive garments. Also, at this time you should be clear to go braless at night. I'd double check with your surgeon to make sure he or she does not have other guidelines. Best of luck!

Underwire bra

Thank you for your question.  I generally recommend patients wait until 6 weeks after surgery to start wearing endure bras- to prevent irritation of the scar, and allow the implants to settle.  Best to speak to your plastic surgeon.  All the best,

Keshav Magge, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

When can I wear an underwire bra?

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Most patients can return to wearing any style bra they wish at 6 weeks after surgery.  The reason underwire bras are not recommended initially is to prevent pressure and irritation over the breast crease incision, if it was used.  Hope this helps. 

Underwire bra

By about 6 weeks or so I usually allow my patients to wear an underwire bra assuming that sensation has come back in that area and the wire is not digging into the incision.

Post surgical bra

Thank you for your question.  At 6 weeks post op breast augmentation I release my patients to wear any bra they would like.  Only if their scars are sore do I tell them to wait for underwire.

Chad Robbins, MD

When can I wear an underwire bra?

There is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras. Therefore, best to check with your plastic surgeon. For example, in my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place. This surgical bra, although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery (some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patients transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast implants have reached their “final position” and patients have full sensation along the breast skin. Best wishes.

When is it OK to wear an underwire Bra following breast augmentation?

Patient's would like to known when they can return to an underwire bra following breast augmentation surgery. What they are not appreciating is that the underwire bras function is to compress and lift the breast and thus make the bust appear larger and more prominent than it is.
Each breast has a footprint. This is a measurable base of the breast. The footprint is often used in guiding the patient and the surgeon on the optimal size of the implant.
Once the breast has been augmented with an implant there is a period of massage and continuous bra maintenance to aid in establishing the new position for the implant in the breast to achieve greatest longevity and position maintenance.
However once this is established the use of an underwire bra is up to the patient's choice. Often a recommendation is made to use non under wire bras as the wire may "pinch" the breast at the lateral aspect of the footprint.