Do I need another tummy tuck? (photos)

Had a tummy tuck 3 years ago.. not so happy when Im sitting or laying down... what can be done? What options do I have?

Revision TT

It would be very difficult to answer your question based on these photos. Clinical, in person evaluation would help. It doesn't look that addition skin removal would make much difference?

You should seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area with a good reputation in TT surgery and discuss your options. Good luck.

Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Do I need another tummy tuck? (photos)

Your result is not what should have been expected and I question the experience of the surgeon who performed your surgery. Yes, you should see an experienced board certified surgeon and ask to see many photos of before and afters. A good tummy tuck would have the scar line well into the pubis area and without the rippling appearance. Good luck.

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Basic Details of Revision Tummy Tuck

Revision surgery is unusual but may be desired for several reasons. Most revisions should be done after 9-12 months.  One cause for revision surgery are “dog ears” at the ends of the incisions. These are small folds of excess skin that do not flatten over time.  They can be excised, suctioned or both.

Scars may widen or continue to be red and elevated.  These may require laser treatment or injection with kenalog and 5-FU.  Excision and reclosure may help some scars. Other treatments are available as well.

Excess fat or loose skin may require liposuction and skin excision to obtain the best result.

The best thing to do is to discuss your options for revision with your original plastic surgeon to see what would be best to help tighten loose skin and flatten any scars that have you concerned. Good luck!

Do I need another tummy tuck?

Based on your  photographs and description of concerns,  you may be a candidate for revisionary surgery which may involve additional skin excision and/or liposuction surgery. Best to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon;  working together you will come up with a good plan to achieve an outcome you will be happier with. Best wishes.

Revision tummy tuck

This is a very difficult question to answer.  On one view, it certainly does look like something can be done to correct the contour.  But when standing on the right photo, it looks like your skin is very tight.  An evaluation by a plastic surgeon will answer this question.  It may be possible to perform a small amount of liposuction to contour the fat and then perform a simple scar revision.

Revision

Plastic surgeons (and our patients) certainly hope for aesthetic procedures to be 'one-off's.' With proper patient selection, meticulous surgery and attentive aftercare our 'holy grail' is a smooth operation, a quick/uneventful recovery and great/long-lasting results. That said, revisions and redo's will sometimes be necessary. Even when initial results are good, patients and their bodies can change over time. Weight gain/loss, hormonal fluctuations, pregnancies, medical conditions/surgeries, skin issues, etc. can play a role in the recurrence of body contouring issues and the development of new ones.  Many patients can be considered good candidates for additional surgery based on a variety of factors. Often, there are technical considerations for patients to weigh. The most notable of these is incision placement, orientation and length. This will depend upon the previous incision, skin excess/laxity, patients height/torso length, etc.
Interestingly, my revision/redo tummy tuck patients seem to have an easier time of their surgery than my primary patients. As with ALL plastic surgery procedures, you will need a thorough evaluation and a well thought out plan.
good luck

•  Tweet

Revision Tummy Tuck Can Help

From these upright photos it's hard to tell what is bothering you.

Better photos lying down etc would help, but better to seek an in person consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon.

Revision tummy tucks can be very beneficial in removing remaining excess skin or firming up the abdominal muscles.

If remaining localized fat is the issue, simple liposuction can be very helpful.

All thus can be evaluated during a consultation, and the best treatment plan developed based on your individual needs.

Richard A. D’Amico, MD, FACS
Englewood Plastic Surgeon