How to start a conversation with parents about a minor rhinoplasty/septoplastly?

I'm 18, so technically I don't need parental consent, but I would still want my parents to be on-board with what I want to do. I'm looking for a slight change to my nose; to make it less fleshy looking, but not change it drastically. My profile is pretty harsh-looking, and I really want to change that. I was wondering if anyone had some advice on how to bring this idea up in a conversation with my parents. Thanks in advance!

Hello Anonymous234234,
Thanks for your question.
Even though you don't need parental consent, it is nice to have their support.  It offers validation that you are making a good choice for yourself.  The financial support they might offer doesn't hurt either!
It is important to bring them in on the conversation early and let them know what bothers you about your nose and how you feel about this.  I would suggest that they come along to any rhinoplasty consult you might have so they can better understand the procedure and the role they may play in your recovery.  Sometimes, parents are just a better voice of reason than the one in your head.
In the end, you bear the responsibility for living life on your terms. From my experience, those that don't have support often have a harder recovery.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Denver Plastic Surgeon

How to talk to parents about rhinoplasty

To change  your nose, you have to bring your parents aboard, to pay the costs and help you in the post operative period.
You need a frank discussion about what bothers you and why it is very important to you.
This conversation needs to develop over a good period of time. If you have a friend or two,  who recently had a rhinoplasty or if your parents know some people who did, that is a starting point.
Your parents pay your bills, so they need to help you find the best doctor, and at least one of them, needs to be at the consultation.

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Conversation with parents about a rhinoplasty and septoplasty

When patient's require a septoplasty, it is because they have nasal obstruction and breathing issues  out of the internal portion of the nose. A septoplasty is performed only for airflow improvement once patients have failed medical management and have obstructing bone and cartilage in the back of the nose blocking air flow. A septoplasty is performed for medical necessity, which must be documented at the time of the examination. A rhinoplasty  is performed for cosmetic purposes. It's probably best to have a frank discussion with  your parents about how much the breathing issue has become in addition to making some minor modifications to the external portion of the nose with a rhinoplasty procedure as well. It really depends on how much this is really bothering the patient in order to move forward.

Rhinoplasty

If you have concerns, then you should be open with your parents about it.  Best of luck......................