Would a slight rhinoplasty have a different recovery time than a regular rhinoplasty?

Hi, So I'm thinking of getting a rhinoplasty, but I would specifically want it done slightly. Would having it done this way shorten the recovery time? What are some other factors that influence recovery time?

Rhinoplasty recovery time

The recovery time for a full rhinoplasty is only a week - and this is typically a modest swelling, modest bruising, minimal pain kind of a recovery.  A tip rhinoplasty or otherwise relatively minor nasal reshaping would have about the same recovery.

Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

In general, less work may mean less recovery...

For example, if you are just having a rhinoplasty for the tip of your nose and the bone does not have to be manipulated, then your recovery will be much shorter with less swelling or bruising. Be sure to see a rhinoplasty specialist to get an accurate opinion of what your recovery will be like

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thanks for the question.I recommend you to send your photos to us to us to give you the advices you need.Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Conservative rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question. It depends on if osteotomies are required.  If you truly just need minor changes, then the recovery can be relatively short.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty candidate

A rhinoplasty procedure can accomplish shaving down the dorsal hump, narrowing a bulbous tip, and narrowing the nasal bones. Full healing on a rhinoplasty procedure is one year. Thick skin in the tip of influences the recovery time more than anything else. The specific procedures performed in the tip and the bridgeline also healing time. 

Rhinoplasty

The swelling from the rhinoplasty is often due to elevation of the soft tissue.  If one is only slightly rasping a tiny bump and using a closed approach, it is likely that ther would be less swelling. Opening the nose for a tip or other work will cause swelling for a long time.

Rhino Recovery

The skill of the surgeon usually and the nature of your tissues determine the amount of bruising and swelling you have. See an experienced rhinoplastic surgeon. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

"Slight" rhinoplasty

Not sure what you really mean by "slight". I assume that you feel as though that you don't need very much change. This could be true but let your surgeon decide what is necessary to get you the results you are looking for. Be careful not to short change yourself just to have an 'easier" recovery. The surgery and recovery is relatively very short compared to the changes that will last you a lifetime. Good luck.

Recommend Consulting with a Board Certified Surgeon

In general, the recovery time ultimately means the downtime from normal daily activities.  Therefore, this a difficult question to answer.  Although, I may perform a "slight" procedure on the nose, I always recommend some downtime to allow the wounds and nose to settle down enough to allow for the return of physical activity.  So, sometimes the downtime of recovery is exactly the same for a complex nose vs. a minimal change.  The discomfort for the first few days may be less; however, most patients tolerate this without concern.  I wish you the best of luck.

Karan Dhir, MD