Too soon for revision rhinoplasty? (Photo)

2 months status post closed rhinoplasty with nasal bridge implant, nostrils reduction and supposedly, tip augmentation with cartilage from nasal septum ( I don't think he worked on the tip at all) What bothers me more than the lack of refinement is the *asymmetrical nostrils* Can I have just one side fixed under local anesthesia? I'd appreciate some specific input instead of a simple recommendation to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Thanks

Be patient in waiting for the final outcome of rhinoplasty

Thank you for your inquiry and your photo. Yes, it is still too soon to have another surgery, as it can take a year or more for the full healing and final outcome of a rhinoplasty to be seen. Hang in there, and hopefully you will have the results you're hoping for!

Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

Hi

Two months is definitely too early to perform another procedure. The shape of your nose will keep changing for up to 12 months after the procedure had been done as it sometimes takes that long for swelling to completely subside. 

The best thing to do for now is to wait a few more months.

Best

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Alar revision after two months?

Unfortunately, at this stage the only thing that you can do is wait. It is very hard to tell what the outcome is going to be exactly with all the swelling.  This is especially true with the tip which tends to have more swelling than other areas.    I know it is difficult but at this point the best thing you could do is just trust your surgeon and hope for the best. Reevaluate in  about six months. 

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Revision Rhinoplasty

Dear Nany189,

Thank you for the photo.  I am sorry that you are unhappy with your results.  In fairness, two months is two short of a time to evaluate the final result.  Revision surgery should not be considered for at least six months, but more likely a year.  Tip surgery can take nine months of healing time to see fine details, so you may be more pleased with time.  That being said, it would be helpful to see other views pre- and post-operatively.

Dr. Michelle Yagoda

Michelle R. Yagoda, MD

Revision 2 Months Post Rhinoplasty

At 2 months you do have swelling that will resolve as healing progresses, changing the appearance of your nose. That makes it very difficult to do any revisions at this time.

Alar reduction

It is always best to see multiple views and comparisons to pre-ops. Many times patients do not realize there nostrils are normally asymmetric.  Any revision of the nostrils should wait until all the swelling subsides.

Your nostril asymmetry may improve only two months postoperative rhinoplasty surgery.

The lower third of the nose is swollen after rhinoplasty for many months. If mild nostril asymmetry persists, consider re-asking your query with both pre and postoperative photos. Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is it too soon for a revision rhinoplasty

The short answer to your question is yes it is too soon for a revision. The very mild nostril assymetey seen I your photos may be due to swelling which will last for a minimum of 6 months to a year. Please let the final shape of your nose evolve as the swelling goes down and your nose may be perfect. A revision too soon only prolongs the wait 

Eugene L. Alford, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Alarplasty for asymmetrical nostrils

You may be able to have a small alar base reduction on both sides that will end up with both nostrils looking symmetrical. Perhaps one side only will be necessary but often a subtle change in a different way to both is necessary to end up with both looking fairly symmetrical. This procedure is typically well tolerated and can be performed well under local anaesthesia. 

I would definitely wait until the 6 month mark and reassess as you would still have swelling around your nostrils from the recent surgery, especially if this included a reduction in the size of your nostrils. 

Jason Roth, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Facial Plastic Surgeon