Prescription pills before and after surgery, is it safe?

Hi I'm having breast augmentation done in a month. The only prescription I'm taking are levoxil ( I have hypothyroidism) and Zoloft 100 mg for anxiety and depression. Is it safe to take this before and after surgery ? Please don't reply with ask your surgeon I did ask I just wanted second and third opinion . Thank you for the responses !

Thank you for your question. Follow this up with your Surgeon but normally it should be safe to take them before and after your breast Augmentation. 

Prescription pills before and after breast implant surgery, is it safe?

The 2 medications that she described should be safe to take before and after breast implant surgery.  However it is very important to make certain that your anesthesiologist and surgeon are aware of these medications before surgery.  It is also usually contraindicated or against advice to take anything after midnight the day before surgery.

Meds before and after breast augnmentation

Yes it is safe to take, in fact it is not safe to stop, but I would make sure the anesthesiologist knows you are on these medications so they are aware and can adjust the medications they give you if needed. No one likes surprises.

W. John Bull, MD

Meds at surgery

Most meds that one takes can be continued both before and after surgery. Best to discuss with your doctor the meds that you currently take.  Good luck.

Taking pain medication after your surgery is fine with the present medications you are on. If your doctor prescribes you a muscle relaxer such as valium then they can determine if adjustments to your medications are needed but taken at a low dose should not interfere with you regular medications. Best of luck.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Continue your medications

You can continue taking those medications prior to your surgery as well as immediately after in addition to the pain medication.

- Dr. Bryson Richards

The medication you take are fine to use after surgery while using pain medication. I recommend a stool softener daily and lots of fluids after surgery. Most patients should be up and about the house, eating, drinking,taking it easy. You will do great.

William C. Rigano, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon