Will my scars on my abdomen get better with continuous fraxel laser treatment?

Ok so last year of May 2013 I applied this cream/treatment(dermatend) that my boyfriend had given me for moles. He said he had used it and it removed them without scarring. Long story short I had freckles that someone had called moles once and applied this cream to them and they left ugly scars. I've done fraxel 3x now and have seen results. I want to know if I can keep going until they are completely gone. One scar had vanished with fraxel.

Diminishing results from multiple Fraxel treatments

Your scars are likely to improve with continued treatments. But the amount of improvement you see after each treatment may decrease. They will likely never be completely gone, but you can continue to do Fraxel until you are happy with their appearance.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel laser resurfacing can produce better results with more numbers of treatments

We've learned from acne scar and reconstruction scar treatment with Fraxel laser resurfacing in our NYC practice that continued treatments can produce better and better results in some patients.  It often is limited by patient's scheduling and financial situations.  We often deliver a series of 5 to 6 treatments and then wait six months before resuming treatment, but for those with very bad scars, we have delivered more than six in one series.  Usually we wait at least three to four weeks in between treatments.

If there is no improvement in the scar, after about three treatments, I don't persist with more Fraxel treatment.  

If moles have been treated though, and not acne scars, please be careful to make sure you don't confuse color of a mole with scarring. It is not wise to continue to treat a mole that may have different colors with Fraxel until that mole is deemed to be benign by a board certified dermatologist or other specialist. Moles that change color or have irregular coloration or irregular borders need biopsies to ensure they haven't turned to a bad mole. Patients shouldn't moles treated by laser unless they are examined carefully.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel for scars

Fraxel is the ideal laser for treating acne scars. The 1550 setting is used to treat these scars. The problem with these types of hypo pigmented scars is that they are extremely difficult to treat since they require multiple laser sessions and can be quite costly. For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with experience with lasers and scars. 

The more Fraxel 1550's you do, the better the scars will look

It appears you have hypopigmented scars.  The 1550 has been shown to repigment these areas sometimes.  If you can afford it, repeating the Fraxel treatment will continue to improve these scars.  They will never be 100% improved, but they will be better.  

Steven F. Weiner, MD